Addon for Edge Group

is there any addon or feature that lets me set edge groups simular to Vertex groups?

1 Like

same way I guess
select your edges and make vert group done

happy bl

problem is, a vertex group would not work the same way as an edge group. if you for instance have a triangle and wish to add two of the edges as a group, a simple vertex group would not work. this is a problem ive ran into several times, so id love to get a solution for it.

2 Likes

add vert works for any verts selection
why do you say it won’t work ?

for tris it will add the 3 verts
but does gives 3 edges in effect
so sort of miss leading

one trick would be to add one edge at a time X 2
then you see 2 verts per edge

thanks
happy bl

i think this question was misunderstood.

finalbarrage - there currently is not edge groups in Blender. As a hard surface modeller I would love to be able to put edges in groups instead of just verts.

No matter what adjacent edges will fill in and it will react like a vert selection. I worry this request might be ignored since it’s misinterpreted.

1 Like

Ah, the pain… as with edges so is with polys

Am helping self with selections/assignments for polys and edges from material settings

yep there is a good demonstration to why this is a problem.

im willing to pay 50$ to whoever makes, or finds an addon or solution to this.

most modif use verts group not edge or faces group!
so it is not really use in bl right now

so not certain how appropriate this would be !

why is it so important to have this feature ?

did find a proposal
https://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Face/Edge_groups_proposal

thanks
happy bl

For plenty of reasons… For example, as masterxeon1001 posted clearly, the Bevel modifier just looks at vertices and not edges. An edge that has both vertices in the group, will be treated as if in the group, even only the adjacent edges are. Every other modifier that needs to operate in groups of edges and faces, will fail in this matter.

as indicated in the proposal

edges can be shown with

Edges Currently, there are several edge custom data uses:

• Crease
  • Seams
  • Sharp (bool)
  • Bevel
  • Freestyle edge marks

so you could define like a edges group with these
but not shown in the Verts group per say

like define a crease and set it to 0 !
then you can re select this group of edges

I know it is shown in N panel and not really use in any modifier yet

only Devs can see if it can be implemented and useful !

still wondering if it would be really useful as a new group

thanks
happy bl

Cinema4D has something called Set Selection, which is the same as vertex group but its based off of edges instead of verteses. i see NO use in having just a single vertex selected in a vertex group, so edges seems to make a lot more sence.

• Crease
  • Seams
  • Sharp (bool)
  • Bevel
  • Freestyle edge marks

Also, these features cannot be used in modifiers for instance.

I swear I saw an add-on that stores at least edge groups, but I can’t put my hand on it again.
Although its only purpose was to save selections. You couldn’t use it with modifiers and such.

Hello everyone, as I had the same issue I thought of a solution/workaround.
I wanted to use a bevel modifier on two edges that share the same face, having them in a group actually beveled the edges linking them (cf. image 1)

As I looked for addons and solutions about edge groups (and seeing that there are none) I tried assigning the upper edges and the lower edges in two separate groups, then using two bevel modifiers, one for each group, I found my solution, as you can see here on image 2:

I know this topic is old, and this workaround might be limited, but if anyone has the same issue as mine, I hope this will help.

I think an addon/feature to make edge groups would be very handy. F.i. if you’re working on a mesh that consists out of pipes (cylinders) but the width of those pipes should be adjustable. So you need to select the circles without the edges that connect the circles to each other. I would be very handy if you could add only the edges of the circles to a group. It doesn’t work wit vert groups.

1 Like

Yeah, this is an old post, but this is still a feature I could really use, and I’d be willing to add $50 to the pot. (With the requirement that the code end up open source, I’d like to see this as a feature in blender, right below vertex groups) I’m willing to try to get this working myself, but I’m sure it’s over my head. But I have some resources I can use (I know some people who will help me) but I need to know what to look for first. I already created a thread in the Coding section, and made a video as to why the edge groups function would be useful. I’ve also been asking about it in the blender non-official discord. (I’m trying to make two scripts, but this is just one of them)

See the post on Blender Artists here

2 Likes

I have no idea how this process works, but the proposal is now gone/part of an archive. Is there some way (and is it worth it) of creating a new proposal? Seems like a relatively simple concept that would make the bevel modifier far more useful.

Im writing a new proposal too.

2 Likes

Thanks. I don’t hold much hope but I gave it an upvote and a comment.

So this may or may not be useful for you folks, but I was very frustrated with the lack of edge groups support in blender.

Sadly taking edge groups from an add-on, then piping into the bevel modifier doesn’t seem possible. I’m working on a branch of Blender to update the bevel modifier to be able to support edge groups but it’s much more complicated than I originally anticipated.

Regardless, I do have an edge groups add-on available from the blender store, so feel free to check that out

It is really nice for managing edges for bevel weights, marking sharps, seams (for UVS) and creases for sub-d workflow.

As a follow up… I have worked on this feature in a fork of Blender, but haven’t been able to get any traction with other devs.

The feature is basically done, and allows you to use custom “edge groups” on the bevel modifier, so you can have non-destructive, multiple bevels, with different edge weights on different edge groups:

It will work in Blender 4.0 and forward, because it takes advantage of the fact that bevel weights are now actually “edge → float” attributes.