The Man In The High Castle VFX - done in Blender & Houdini

The visual effects seen here were nominated for the 15th Annual Visual Effects Society (VES) Awards.

> Yes, we used Blender for almost all of our work and rendered in Cycles. Nuke and After Effects were used for compositing. You can check out our Reddit AMA where we discuss our process here: https://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/5rvwo2/we_produced_the_visual_effects_for_man_in_the/

The AMA also has some elaborate answers.

1 Like

Is this the breakthrough we’ve all been waiting for? Is this the end of the fear of open source software?

I believe the end of the fear of open source software isn’t a singular event and it isn’t a binary thing - but I can attest that at most of the VFX studios I freelance at, the attitude towards Blender has changed significantly for the better over the last few years. Especially the promise of more pipeline support and workflow improvements has raised and continues to raise interest and confidence in Blender.

Especially the combination of Blender & Houdini seems like a really intriguing match for many professionals I talk to - both TDs and artists - including myself.

I’m so surprised this has had so few comments. It’s really high end TV VFX work being talked about as well.

I agree about the positive attitudes. All I’ve encountered of late in workplace environments is a great deal of excited interest and buzz around Blender right now. Although it tends to be said that it’s only quite recently that it’s become properly production ready. But things are moving so fast.
I don’t know anyone with a pro background, who has taken up Blender who does not end up loving it. Currently it’s main entry point in professional studio environments seems to be for poly modeling and retopo work from what I have seen myself.

The main issue holding things back a bit seems to just be easier and more clear pipeline integration and a lack of dedicated full time tech support.
Surely this is a logical next step. Something that could be paid into by studios and pro users similar to the Cloud. Or even better this becomes a feature of the Cloud perhaps.

I have to say, I’m equally surprised and happy to hear that Blender finally seems to be taken seriously not only by small to medium sized studios. Personally I loved watching The Man in the High Castle and the VFX was absolutely top-notch.

This is my experience, as well. And yet, I still notice a few pitying smiles, whenever Blender is mentioned in pro circles and I feel I always have to explain how price is not my only reason for using it. I have always wondered why some people are more willing to download a cracked version of some commercial piece of software, instead of just learning Blender. And I think one reason might be the fact that there are not too many institutions teaching Blender… which, in turn, results in there being not too many job postings… which, in turn…

So, I have recently started to teach Blender to my design students to at least get the young professionals have an open mind towards open source software (and I notice other universities around the world are doing that, as well). And I’m happy that I can now give them one more good reason why I think learning Blender is a good decision.

It might be worth mentioning to your students that Blender is only free in terms of money paid. There’s a lot of volunteer, unpaid work that goes on to get it where it is. Its a subtle but important distinction, I think.

Id just like to throw these in here :wink:

We also made the server farm for a few episodes of silicon valley and some statues. All done in blender

If Blender can get a foothold into the TV sreies VFX work, that would make a massive difference to how people percieve it.

Hardcore Henry(an action sci-fi movie) was also made with blender.

@Chris Offner Really amazing work. I haven’t watched the show but the graphics look very cool. It has this “Nazi”-looking kind of atmosphere. Like it’s clean but there is something rotten in the air.