Mesh with hole is glitchy in rendering

I’m making a simple mesh of R2D2 for my computer class, and I tried to make a hole in the “leg” to match my source image. When it’s rendered, though, the mesh around the hole appears slightly glitchy, and I can’t for the life of me figure out how to fix it. I’ve deleted and recreated faces several times over, recalculated normals, and every other solution I could find on the internet. Can one of you blender wizards tell me what i’m doing wrong? File attached.

Attachments

r2d2 copy.blend (2.42 MB)

The render only works with triangles so triangulates your mesh at render time. When you have non planar faces (as in your case) you will see those triangles

You can make all the faces planar (select all the face you want to make planar and scale all on the x axis by zero, S X 0)

or use smooth shading with the auto smooth enabled. https://docs.blender.org/manual/en/dev/modeling/meshes/editing/smoothing.html?highlight=smooth

I’ve deleted and recreated faces several times over,

You will get better control of smoothing etc if you take more care with your modelling. Ideally have quad faces instead of triangles or as in your case faces with more than 4 sides.

Attachments

r2d3 copy.blend (933 KB)

r2d2_ja12.blend (945 KB)

Not all front faces are on the same plane. Scale to 0 along X to make them that if it’s the intention. Select, S, X, 0, enter.

There are n-gons, ones around the hole are concave. N-gons can distort with normal UV unwrapping and concave polygons may triangulate badly both in geometry and on an UV map. Triangulating the faces yourself is a fast way of getting rid of concave polygons but modeling more cleanly in the first place would be better.