Flowers

This is my first time trying to make a realistic character. I used a model I’ve made before that wasn’t supposed to be realistic, and all I changed was the textures. So I probably need a lot more work on the clothing. I’m not really familiar with sculpting besides just a few times that I’ve played around with it, it seems like that’s what I’ll have to do to make the clothes better. And I know I should probably also work on the grass to make each blade thinner but more dense and maybe less bent up.

I made the character’s pants a bit short to expose a sock, I thought that might look kind of cute and give it some realistic detail. Also played around with sculpting a bit and moved the spot light closer and increased the angle to get harder shadows and bring out detail. I only just realized that bringing the light closer also made it really bright, I’m not sure if that’s good or bad but I’ll probably reduce it some either way. Any feedback would be very appreciated.

Well… it’s bad. Grass looks unrealistic there is a lot of empty space and flat texture on the ground. Stone walls are just flat surfaces with texture on it. The Stone texture has way too much bumpiness. You should model walls with separate stone blocks or at least show separation between them by adding geometry to make it realistic. Character is stiff and unrealistic as well as clothing and hair. She looks like a puppet not as a human. I don’t understand what is the meaning of this picture. Why does she have flowers on her face? Sorry to Say that but I’m trying to give you constructive feedback and this is what I think about it. I think you wanted to do too much. My advice is to decide what do you want to create. Character or grass and flowers it’s up to you but focus on one topic and master it. There will be time to create awesome illustrations but it’s too early for this. And don’t give up :wink:

Thanks for the feedback. I tried adding a displacement modifier with subdivision to the stone to make it look less flat, but its barely noticeable. I think I’ll throw that away and actually modify it manually. This is my first time doing anything but a texture for grass, so I’m not really sure what I’m doing with that. How do I make that better? To occupy the space between the last two arches so the plane and empty space isn’t visible, I’ve been thinking about adding something else, but I wouldn’t want to have to remove the last arch since its the only one that even shows the full arch so the viewer knows what they are. So I think I need some kind of relatively small object that won’t draw too much attention. Maybe a broken arch or pillar that fell in the way of the path? I’m going to work on that and not bother with the character just for now because I’m clueless as to how to make that any better.

OK so if you don’t want to bother with character remove her from the scene, and focus on environment.

Realistic grass is very dense (obviously not always but nice grass is dense for sure). Of course you need some texture on the ground but it cannot be so visible. Gras also vary in height and size. There is awesome tutorial on Blender Guru so check it out.

Displacement is good solution but if it doesn’t work I’d like to see your texture because I have no idea why there’s no result of using it. Don’t remove arches leave it as it is for now.

I don’t think I want to remove the character, I just don’t know how to fix it just yet. I think the character looks plenty cute even if its not perfect yet, and I’d hate to throw that away. I’ll just focus on fixing other things first and worry about it later.

I completely redid the grass, but I probably still have a lot more work to do on that. Also added some geometry between the stone bricks.