problems getting smooth deformation with armature

hi guys, i have made a frog model for animation but the arms are deforming very weirdly i want it to look smooth, can anyone tell me what i need ot do? thanks

Attachments

Do your limbs with bendy bones, not just a chain as you appear to have done, no blend file so it’s very hard to answer you…

Also you really need to add hip and shoulder bones to connect limbs to spine, then you need a root bone between the feet to parent major bones and any IK targets.

Cheers, Clock.

hi clock! thanks for the reply! ive attached my project file! can you have aquick look at it? i added bendy bones

Attachments

seddon 2.blend (825 KB)

OK I looked at your file:

1. You have FAR too many bones in there and they are not labelled correctly… Feet should be called Foot.L and Foot.R, etc.

2. You have many Armature Mods - most of which are not setup properly… Get rid on those unwanted ones first.

3. Bendy bones are ONE bone per limb with an anchor and an IK target to animate them - then set their IK properties to Stretch if you want to stretch the limb, or not as may be the case:

I have added a new armature to show how to do this, just move/rotate the “top-IK” bone to work it. It might be worth your while looking at some tutorials on CGCookie, or Nathan Vegdahl’s Humane Rigging tutorials, to get a good workflow for building armatures, bendy bones and mesh parenting techniques.

Also you have no root bone, this is essential for good animation, then parent major bones and IK target bones to this bone.

Cheers, Clock.

Here’s your blend file: seddon 2.blend (852 KB)

EDIT: The Subsurf Mod should be BELOW the armature Mod.