Adjusting the edges of a plane to those of the image projected on it.

Hello guys

I have a problem that may be too easy to even think about it for you, but it really annoys me.:frowning:
I want that when i project an image on a plane (using material), the plane adopts the shape of the edges of the image. So for example, if I project a photo of a man, the plane then acquires the edges of the man.

It is to make a scene with drawings of multiples animals, as if they were made on sheets of paper scotched on the ground to stand up, and projecting their huge shades.

Thank you for helping, :smiley:

Quentin

Show us something concrete so we don’t have to try and decipher what you are talking about

As a minimum supply annotated screenshots/images and a demo .blend file

You need to create a mask using your image and use the mask to control transparency on the plane.

Yeah, but that will not allow the plane to have thickness, as it is just a shading trick…

If you need those planes to have thickness, you could try this:
Turn the silhouettes into black and white images,
convert those to vector paths e. g. in Inkscape,
export those paths to SVG,
import the SVG into Blender,
convert the curve object to mesh, extrude and
map the silhouette images onto those meshes.

That’s how those were made:

Hello

First, thank you very much to all of you for answering so fast and so accurately.
IkariShinji, I made what you wrote and IT WORKED !!! And congrats for the image you posted, it is just amazing, I wish I could do the same one day.

Thank you again to all <3 <3 <3 <3 and have the nicest day possible

Quentin

I had assumed camera facing planes from the description, but nice method nevertheless :slight_smile: