Round head screw modeling

I’ve found video showing how to model round head screw ( https://youtu.be/QuwWezl8kq4?t=14m18s ) but unfortunately theres no screencast. I’ve been able follow until 14 min. Can anyone tell me how does he create cross from those edges? Thanks!

CTRL+B for beveling.

But it is probably better to start with a round cube (Extra Objects Addon), with an odd number of ‘Arc divisions’… it’s faster, and you’ll get a better topology.

Thanks that looks like much better aproach! Didn’t know about this addon.

Bit offtopic question: Let’s say i model this screw in separate layer and create group containing all his objects. Then I want add multiple group instances to my main model. What is best way to do it? (for realtime engine to render one screw and then just translate other instances). So far I didn’t find tutorial how to effectively manage model with lots of repetitive objects.

In general, instancing is a good thing. Not only for edit/manage or memory storage, but also for drawing calls. In blender, instances works quite well. But for a more precise way to organize your data will depend slightly on the engine you’re using.

Also, have you tried the Bolt factory add-on ? (included in Blender)

Well there’s quite a good amount of way to do it, including Pyton coding… Modifiers ( Array + mirrors etc) or data transfers, even particules systems can be used for it… but every techics are completely depending of the final models … Blender is not Inventor or Solidworks … Where this type of assets are effectivelly completely instanced from a data base.