Need modeling plan idea to get this organic effect (Dementia Prevention)

I need to make a mesh that would be organic, similar to this:

what i have currently is this:

as you can see the white “astrocytes” are too rigid, i do not haev enough transparency in the mesh, I plan to start from scratch on the model/mesh and would just wonder how you would attack and make this mesh!

background: I am working on a series of videos that relate to the prevention of Alzheimer’s disease and dementia - the functional unit program I made in blender (the 3 min animated video

Attachments

I would totally use hair for this.

Here’s an example of what I was able to do in about 5 minutes. Obviously it’s not as detailed as what you currently have, but I would expand upon it given more time.

To achieve that, I started with a small sphere, added a hair system to it, and changed the hair number under emission to 8. I then created a turbulence force field and increased the strength. At this point, I simply dragged out a bunch of duplicates around the scene. The turbulence took care of randomness. Then I just added a bit of focal blur and rendered.

If I were to take this to the next level, I might further refine it by changing the seed and number of hairs for each cluster, then convert them to meshes and add additional branches of hair systems.

Thanks for the idea! I’ll work with it today - my only limitation may be that I will need control on the hair (from point a connection on a capillary to point B connection on a neuron). But ill see what I can do!