Project management with 40 million verts

Hello, What are some good options when you have very complex mesh (for up close details, and also for the Landscape of the project)…

I ended up with 40 million vertex, really could use 80 million in the images - any ideas?

I know i could move to a more simple mesh, but then any of the animation will be compromised.

I understand using decimate modifier, but then I end up loosing too much details. I have “recreated” some aspects of the model in different blend files and simplified some of the mesh that is out of the view.

an example of the close up is:

thanks for any input.

background: the images are part of animation related to Alzheimer’s disease prevention, showing how micron strokes can affect a single neuron - thus the brain damage may go undetected by an individual (loss of a single neuron)

could cut in pieces then use Group instancing may be!

happy cl

In Blender as of now, you would run into major problems with animating and rendering a single object of that size.

• -Trying to do certain operations on it like deformation will be so slow as to be unusable and may even require you to kill the process via the task manager
  • -For 80 million polygons, I hope your machine has at least 64 GB of RAM because anything less may force your system into a massive lockup (due to the incredible amount of swap needed).
  • -Forget about editmode, just turning it on may lock up Blender.
  • -Weight paint would also be unusable (though that may change if one of the GSoC projects from last year gets committed).

The way forward here may be to have a much simpler mesh form the basic structure and then use the new micropolygon displacement for the detail (though you will still need quite a bit of RAM to render it). You may also want to add a particle system to instance some smaller details all around the main object (that can’t be done via a texture).

I have still been able to be working with it, but increasingly harder - in and out of edit modes and the sluggishness of the viewport. Running the 64GB RAM, I7-6950 - still the 80mil would be much tougher to do anything. I have changed to isolated view, and at times go to bounding box.

So how are very large projects completed? If i move some of the mesh/objects into different files then Link/append will that cut down on the performance issues?

Guess what I am really asking, how do you set up a huge detailed scene in blender? (modifiers, particle system, more details in node editor and less in the mesh?).

I will get sharper on the micropolygon displacement and start to use that also… thanks!