How many samples for Interiors?

Hi,

And one for interiors… that takes up WAY more samples… starting from 10.000 !
Have a look at the attached .blend file.
(hdri by sibl, artwork by my girlfriend, tiles I’ve forgot)

EDIT: This scene setup is NOT meant as a final result, but as a START… and what you would need to have a noise free render without any optimisation… I should have stated that when originally posted this.
And to be perfectly hones, I just wanted a place to store this scene for future reference/tutorials.

2017-02-22_Room.blend (2.02 MB)

BTW,

to have it LOOK… yes LOOK right… use filmic.
But remember: filmic does NOTHING to a render… just SHOWS it better inside blender!

Pro tip: forget about JPG… save OPENEXR… From that you can always generate a JPG if needed…

There is one answer that can be applied to all interiors. The number of samples required depends on the individual scene.

It also depends on how much time you’re willing to spend setting up the scene in a way that helps Cycles, such as controlling MIS if combining with lots of interior spotlights or using branched if doing diffuse studies only or rendering lights in passes where appropriate. I.e. alcove lighting is beautiful, but I never rely on indirect lighting. I’d rather do a no bounce on the reflecting surface (direct only for the alcove emitter) and add a area light to do the actual lighting. I generally only use HDRIs to obtain a fast look I want to go for (using portals), then swap it out with either sky or area plus sunlamp if appropriate. Also it helps adding texture to surfaces which reduces the visibility of the noise. And lastly, for clean surfaces, why not denoise in post using passes (bilateral blur)?

It’s your choice, long rendering time or extra time setting it up. Without insta-denoise and/or improved tools for handling interiors, you’re only last choice is to change render engine which has such tools. I use Cycles for work related interiors (controlled lighting usually, very different style than usual interiors), with enough fakes I can get it down to 500’ish samples, and I’ve only touched 10000 samples once (about 50 spotlights in the room combined with long strips of indirect but fake alcove lighting and no daylight). 2000-4000 samples is about the normal, and obviously the settings depends on the way I have to render to manage time.

Also consider strongly; do you really need an accurate lighting simulation or is the client happy with a nice looking image?

10000 samples for something like that just sounds ridiculous.

I’ve posted this to let people see without OPTIMIZATION (which is a subject for advanced users!) how you can simply achieve results…
But I guess it’s my fault… this thread is a follow up on something you’re not aware of… I’m sorry for that…
I probably had to state that starting this thread…
This was posted after/during a live session on IRC talking about the subject…

Just started posting on BA, being a lurker for many years…
So, thank you for taking the time to ‘educate’ me on textures, optimizing, bounces and denoising… but that wasn’t really necessary :wink:

PS. There is not a hair on my body thinking of rendering a final image on 10000 samples…

That’s why we are all waiting for the success of lukas denoiser:

(build from first page is old, look for 64 bits Blender experimental build)
This is 500 samples with denoiser (post in Darktable):

Just in case it is useful for you: