Attic WIP

Hello everyone !
I got started on a new project last week, the idea is to have an almost monochromatic scene, with a kind of nostalgia feel to it. I want to make it look ‘alive’, like someone really lived here, it is someone’s special place or smthg. I’ve got some ideas for the reflection on the mirror, I’ll maybe talk about it later.

So far i’m having fun, but I wanna get better and so I’d love to know what it makes you feel, or what you’d like to see in it, what mistakes I’ve made so far or… whatever comes into your mind ! I’d hugely appreciate it if you took the time to comment and critique it.

Cheers people, hope to talk to you soon :slight_smile:

(It is rendered with Cycles at 6000 samples, 50% size, using the Filmic Blender color management)

Edit :
Update render -

[ATTACH=CONFIG]475883[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH=CONFIG]475882[/ATTACH]

Really nice. Love the lighting and the sun beams. At this point not much to offer in critique. Adding some dust particles, cobwebs in the beams and stuff would help sell it that bit more. But really nice work! :smiley:

Thank you very much ! I was planning on simulating particles in the air, but I don’t it the better way : particle system or compositing ? i got kinda good machine so particles shouldn’t be a problem, but if I can save some time ^^
The cobwebs are in the process of making :stuck_out_tongue: thanks to Gleb Alexandrov, who was also a huge help for the volumetric light :x

Nice scene. I think this is going to help you, so take a look. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WPK_n14orjw

Thank you ! I will check that out asap :slight_smile:

A few things I noticed on close inspection…

The floor boards aren’t realistic. I don’t know of any house that uses that pattern for the attic’s floor boards. They’re usually not meant to be seen (covered by carpet or hardwood) so they will almost always run straight across (diagonally or not) and wouldn’t be interleaved like that. But perhaps this house was built by an artisan carpenter who had a shortage of long boards. It happens.

Also, the window opening isn’t realistic. At first my eyes were telling me that it was a hole in the roof so I didn’t notice the even edges. But on closer inspection it just doesn’t look right. It should be a gabled window there without the beam, or just a hole in the roof with uneven slats along the sides. That’s my opinion.

And those two beams running along the ceiling… why are they angled at 45 degrees? They also appear to cut through the support beams for the upper roof area, which is not realistic. I’m not certain why they’re there at all. They seem to serve no purpose.

Other than that, or in spite of it, I really like this scene.

Thank you for the feedback Anthony and sorry for the delayed answer.
I found your critic relevant and really helpful, I’m making some changes in this way as I write :slight_smile:

First of, the floor : i’ll admit I didn’t make it to be logical, I didn’t think it through, it just looked good when I started the scene and I didn’t touched it ever after. As you said almost every “attic floors” are made of long running planks, so I guess it was my way of separating myself from the multiple scenes like this one out there. Kinda lame I’ll admit, it is currently being changed (and by the way poliigon.com have adden some super extra fantastic wood textures recently, I don’t have any link to this site, but i find it so amazing that I had to give them a shout out).

I feel you on the window thing, this one I did process and didn’t make out of nowhere. I feel like the roof is way to “weak” for a gabled window, I mean I know it would be possible in real life, but in my mind it wouldn’t look good, the balance between a well-created window and a rustic room wouldn’t be right, just in my mind, but I could be wrong. And it’s not just a hole in the roof (with eneven slats, I thought of that too) well simply because the owner wanted to “secure” it, make it a bit more solid, and wanted to lean on it. I know that every “halfway” stuff in cg doesn’t look good and we learn to be full on an idea to create a mood and stuff, but I like this halfway point of an old part of the house that is been made a bit more practical by the grandson of the original owner who only used to to store old furniture and stuff.
I hope this will make more sense as I advance in this project, if it ever makes sense at all :’) it’s part of that timeless, nostalgia, passing time shit that i wanna put in there. I might be out of my league though ><

The two beams I took from a reference photo. I guess they’re here to make the joint between the lower and upper part of the support beams, I’m no carpenter but that’s what I though, and maybe they also provide some kind of support to the roof, and smaller beams. And for me maybe they provide a geometric part that runs from the camera and kinda looked good to me :°) But hey, nice observation, again…

So, without further ado, a “preview” rendering I made a couple of days ago to try a new look and camera angle. As said it is a couple of days old and some improvements have been made since.Still I’d really like your views, ideas and critics on this one.

Big love, cheers :slight_smile:

(Had to render on the CPU, hence the low quality as I didn’t want it to take… forever, sorry.)

New one coming soon !

As said above here’s a new ‘small preview’ render (meaning low quality, small amount of samples). New floor texture, brighter light, more objects and some effects here and there. What do you guys think ? It is still an ongoing process and I’ve made my best to “optimize” it so I can tweak basically everything with minimum effort.

Hope to read your feedbacks, cheers :smiley:

Excellent work! Love the lighting so much

awesome, really looks good!!!

only one suggestion, maybe add some depth of field? just a hint should be enough

Thank you very much, both of you !

That is really funny that you’d suggest that Davzeppelin, because I added some but decided to turn it off on the image I wanted to show you ^^ I’ll reactivate it on the camera for the next one, I promise ! It did look good though :wink:

I think i saw Greb Alexandrow showing this scene in his tutorial once.

Hi ! Read the topic you’ll find the reference :slight_smile:
Gleb’s scene was an inspiration, as was lots of other attic renders or photographs.

aha, sorry, i didn’t saw that… it is really, really good ! looks way better than what i usually render

Hey guys !

I’ve made a step back on this, I don’t know where I screwed up. Been working on it too much, I’ve lost both vision and motivation. So I guess I’m gonna work on something else, and come back to this piece in a while, to look at it with fresh eyes.
Anyways, thanks for the support, I hope it won’t be too long until I find the solution.

Cheers :slight_smile:

Very nice scene, don’t be discouraged, it really looks great, especially the 2 last ones.

About the dust particles, it’s really easy to do, and if you put them in a second layer, it’s really fast to render. I did that tutorial a few days ago out of curiosity, he explains how to do the particles : Blender: How to make God Rays and Floating Dust Particles.

Thank you very much ! Just looked at the video, seems great, I’ll try it :slight_smile:
I feel “discouraged” as of right now I’d say, but I’ve just been on this project way too much for the past couple of weeks, I need to stay away from it for a while, just to make sure I can finish it properly. I don’t want to force myself into finishing it right now and messing it up :confused:
So yeah, not giving up on it, just taking a break, and I’ll start something new in the meantime :stuck_out_tongue:

I totally understand, we all get through this with a big project (even not-so-big ones haha). Looking forward to seeing this one finished :slight_smile:

That is truly amazing looks good :yes:

Thank you both of you.
Final renders will come soon, they’re processing as I speak, there will probably be 4 of them, at high quality, so it’s gonna take a couple of days ^^