Baked render looks much worse than actual render

Hi everybody!

I have a problem and I hope that maybe you could help me.

I am having a hard time trying to bake my scene in a way that looks close enough to the actual render. But all what I am getting is a very ugly image, not even close to the nice shadows that you can get in the render. Let me show you:

In the texture view, I get shadows, but not even close to the quality that I get in the render view. I have been following Blenderguru tutorial for baking, all seem pretty straight forward, but my result is very bad.

I am exporting that building floor by floor, so I have a few OBJ, MTL and textures files, and I am importing them in several different places just to try (online import sites, Unreal, etc.), and the result is very bad.

Can anyone give me some tips or a workflow to do it the right way and really get to save all those little details into the texture? How can I get that nice realistic feeling with baked textures? I am trying both with internal render and Cycles, with almost the same result. Also I am doing full render baking (“combined”, when using Cycles).

Thank you very much for your help!:yes:

Hello?? Anyone can help me, please? :frowning:

looks like you need to uv un wrap

I don’t think so,I mean, it is already unwrapper,and I get to see the shadows in the right place, just the feeling is awful.

The bake looks fine, but it’s being mixed in with the OpenGL shading. Try pressing N, look for “Shading” and check the “shadeless” box.

@BeerBaron thank you! Yepp, that was a noob mistake, my fault! :smiley: Now it looks much more like the render. BUUUUT, still, look the next image. Why I get those awful edges in the baking texture, if they are not shown in the render? :confused:

1 Like

Check out “Bake->Margins” and try increasing that value. The margins need to be high enough so that a bilinear texture sample doesn’t tap into the black parts along the seams. Your UVs also need to be spread apart far enough to allow for this. This is further complicated by MIP-mapping, which afaik you cannot selectively turn off in Blender.

I don’t want to hold a lecture on all of these things, but if you just google them you should find some reference. It’s a common problem with lightmapping.

Also, unwrapping your UVs to be more contiguous reduces the amount of seams.

Thank you again!
Those edges that you are seeing them aren’t even seams. They are just edges in the middle of the mesh, it is weird… I will try what you are talking about. I am unwrapping with “Lightmap Pack” mode, I thought that would be the best way.

Thank you again!