How to create efficent retopology workflow?

When working on a scene with many objects, do you usually do all of the retopology manually with a tool like RetopoFlow or an external program like TopoGun? Is there a more efficient method for a scene with 50+ objects like a kitchen interior for example?

I feel like I’m spending way too much time with retopology for a large scene. Roughly how long does it take you to retopologize a scene with roughly 50 objects? What is your workflow for efficiently creating retopology?

Does anyone use a tool like zremesher for retopology or it that mostly for reducing a mesh’s resolution only? I noticed even if the topology looks ok with that is has selection problems in Blender when selecting edge loops. I’m not sure if I’m using zremesher wrong or if it doesn’t usually give good results for retopology.

Hey I’m not sure I can help that much with any magic auto topo solution.

But one good workflow unique to Blender I think is to retopo using a subsurf modifier combined with a shrink wrap.
This might possibly speed things up a bit and make it less painful since you only need to block in the retopo mesh
using a few basic simple polys. The Subsurf fills in the rest. Then it’s possible to apply the subsurf if you need finer
control to move around a few edges and verts to get firmer corners etc …

50 objects is a lot to get through though so I would look into zremesher a bit more.

There is this option possibly as well, which was posted up on here awhile back.

Thanks for the help Toka! :slight_smile: The subsurf & shrinkwrap combo does come in really handy. I use a combination to that and retopoFlow right now but I’m checking out it there are any faster ways. I’m trying out TopoGun but so far I like retopoFlow better because you don’t have to switch programs and the tools are mostly the same at least so far. Retopoflow is great but crashes often although you learn to understand what causes it and avoid those things.

I wonder if there is a way to get better results with zremesher, has anyone had any luck getting a good retopology mesh with it?

Yeah 50 objects is a lot to get though, I kept wondering how everyone else does it so quickly! xD