Using the VSE for merging strips?

Hi all,

Is it possible in the VSE to have a channel strip (for animations for example) and another channel for texts strips (alpha over)?
Is it possible to combine the 2 channels?

Thanks.

What do you mean by combine the two? You’re just meant to render the result.

I guess the most likely thing you are meaning is that you want to place all your strips within a metastrip/subsequence. If that is the case then just select all the strips and hit Ctrl+G then you can select the metastrip and use the Tab key to enter it.

Hmmm, no.
I want to use a channel for animations and a second for texts explaining the animations.
I render the two as PNG sequences and I want to merge these strips as a single one but they are overlapping, of course.

Should be possible, assuming you have both sources (one as background, second as overlay). I’ve done a bit with the various tools like Alpha Over, transitions, etc. both with frames and video files.

OK, so you are basically taking about ‘compositing’ the two images/image sequences together.

Well you can either create a new scene within the same blend file or just create a totally new blend file. Then import you two image sequences into the VSE (You can import an image sequence by creating an image strip, and then in the file browser using the ‘A’ key to select all the images, then hit the import button) then it’s just a case of overlay them and rendering it out again. For more complex tasks you’ll need to use Blender’s node compositor or a third party one like Fusion or Natron (FYI Natron is developed by a French team so it can be pretty unstable :evilgrin::stuck_out_tongue:

Hope it helps!

Thanks for the replies.