hair not showing up on mirrored side of object

Hi, I’m having a problem with hair not showing up on the mirrored side of my object. I got “use modifier stack” selectd but still no hair on that side. The mirror modifier is above the particles system but still no hair. I’'ve uploaded the blend file to PasteAll. Link here.

Under Particle settings, ‘Display’ options, you have Display set to 50%.

Thank you Gimble! I didn’t catch that when I was setting up hair system. I didn’t expect it to only take away from one side of the mesh.

Yes, that does seem a bit strange / bug perhaps?

I would have thought also that the particle system / hair % Display would take into account the mirror modifier.

Although, I’m not all that familiar with Blender’s hair system, so perhaps there’s another underlying issue(s).

I just took a quick 5 minute look; so maybe someone else will know…

You need to use your modifier stack. It is in emission panel. Click the box.

1 Like

stilltrying: Did you check the blend file that timgrindall posted - the ‘Use Modifier Stack’ option in the ‘Emission’ panel is checked.

Initially, I didn’t check to see if the ‘Use Modifier Stack’ check box was checked, and when I did I was surprised to see that it was indeed selected.

This is definitely a check box that needs to checked in this instance, as the tool tip states: “Emit particles from mesh with modifiers applied (must use same subsurf level for viewport and render for correct results)”.

Also, the Subsurf modifier’s viewport and render levels are both set at 4.

After looking a bit more at the blend file over the weekend, I did notice that there was an un-applied scaling on the X axis of 0.886 . (Although in this case it did not seem to have any effect).
Any time modifiers are used, it’s best to ensure that all transforms are applied -> Location = 0, Rotation = 0, and Scale = 1 to avoid issues that arise when they aren’t at their default values.

The root cause of the display issue seems to stem from the use of Children particles.
If you change the main setting in the ‘Children’ panel from ‘Interpolated’ to either ‘None’ or ‘Simple’; then the Display settings works as one would expect it to.

If you use the ‘Interpolated’ setting, then you need to have a non-zero setting for ‘Virtual Parents’.
Even a low setting of 0.001 will have the desired effect.
The ‘Virtual Parents’ will cause a percentage of the children particles to take on the characteristics of the parent particles (and also corrects the peculiar Display issue).

You can find some more information on Hair at the Blender Manual:

https://docs.blender.org/manual/en/dev/physics/particles/emitter/children.html

(NOTE): There is a outdated term used in the manual; where it says:
" If you want to see the parents additionally turn on the Parents button in the Visualization panel."

should read:

“If you want to see the parents additionally turn on the Parents button in the Render panel.”