Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Most of the features I've seen discussed would be nice but the area where blender is hurting the most would have to be texture painting. You can purchase addons that help making brush and layer selection easier but the fundamental flaws are the jagged edges, stretching, and limitations on texture size due to lag. You can duck the jagged edges and stretching by increasing the poly count but you will start lagging before you can get to anything as smooth as Mud box or Substance Painter.
    Last edited by edisto; 20-Mar-17 at 20:30.

Donating Member
    Originally Posted by edisto View Post
    Most of the features I've seen discussed would be nice but the area where blender is hurting the most would have to be texture painting. You can purchase addons that help making brush and layer selection easier but the fundamental flaws are the jagged edges, stretching, and limitations on texture size due to lag.
    Much of lag should be addressed with the PTex work. If you provide images showing the jaggy and stretching problems can have a look. Is the jaggy a brush issue (and thus fixable with antialiasing the brush) or projection issue.

Originally Posted by LetterRip View Post
    Much of lag should be addressed with the PTex work. If you provide images showing the jaggy and stretching problems can have a look. Is the jaggy a brush issue (and thus fixable with antialiasing the brush) or projection issue.
    I do not know if you're aware, but the Ptex work has been stopped and shelved for over a year (Nicholas Bishop no longer had any time for it), and there's no indication now if Blender will ever have it implemented.

I wouldn't count on it being completed at this point (unless I missed something).
    Last edited by Ace Dragon; 20-Mar-17 at 20:55.
    Sweet Dragon dreams, lovely Dragon kisses, gorgeous Dragon hugs. How sweet would life be to romp with Dragons, teasing you with their fire and you being in their games, perhaps they can even turn you into one as well.
    Adventures in Cycles; My official sketchbook

Donating Member
    Ace Dragon,

there are plans to finish the PTex work. We are looking at finding a GSoC student to do so, but if there isn't a suitable candidate we'll see about other options.

Great job on your museum of art Ace Dragon.

You get jagged lines if you go above 80 degrees on the normal cutoff. If you limit the normal cutoff to 80 you get a solid line that you have to blend when rotating. In Mudbox you are able to get 80-90 degrees with no jagged edges, solid line, or stretching. Mudbox has a falloff when you get close to 90 degrees with the opacity fading nicely. Texture paint mode also needs a real eraser brush with soft edges that you can select with shift + left click and on release returns your brush like "sculpt.brush_stroke" in sculpt mode by default. These fixes coupled with GPU acceleration on Brush strokes blender texture painting will be way better than Mudbox. http://imgur.com/a/IAZ6y

Originally Posted by LetterRip View Post
    Edit: glancing at the patch - can't test but I think if you disable the 'clamp' code it might work.
    Hi.
    Just clarify that I know how to compile and apply patches, but I have no idea of coding. So I did not understand much about what you said
    I'll wait to see if you find out what the problem is, and then I'll test it again.
    Thank you.
    Be patient, English is not my language.

Ptex is pretty much a dead technology these days. UDIM has pretty conclusively "won" the battle of extended texturing functionality everywhere outside of Disney's studios.
    Long time 3D artist and member of the official Cycles Artists Module
    https://www.youtube.com/user/m9105826 - Training, other stuff. Like and subscribe for more!
    Follow me on Twitter: @mattheimlich or on my blog

Originally Posted by m9105826 View Post
    Ptex is pretty much a dead technology these days. UDIM has pretty conclusively "won" the battle of extended texturing functionality everywhere outside of Disney's studios.
    Yes, Ptex don't have a clear future in the industry. Maybe the wind could change with new ideas or implementations, but UDIM is the near future of the industry.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234