Motion graphics tex animation (reveal, lower thirds...)

Hello everyone,

I am trying to create lower thirds in blender such as these ones in the video :

or to create simple text wipe reveal (vertically and horizontally) such as these ones in the video :

I have already looked for blender resources to achieve this type of text animation but didn’t find anything. If you can tell me how i can learn to do these type of text animation or link me to online resources it will be much appreciated.

Thanks.

Wrong forum, this for COMPLETED tutorials ONLY. Do you think all the different support forums for different subjects are just for show !!!

Please use the appropriate support forum for support questions. Thread moved

Model in 3d (text object or images on a plane) then animate them like any other 3d object

Hi Richard,

Thanks for the information which lead me to read the sticky post in the tutorial section. I am pretty new to the forum and thought the tutorial section was meant to ask for tutorials as well too. As for your response concerning lower thirds and revealing text animation thanks for the advice but that doesnt answer the way the text is masked and then appears.

Thanks.

Do you think all the different support forums for different subjects are just for show !!!

Although your post has ended up in Compositing sub board, I would suggest that to make lower third supers like this will need more animation than basic compositing and wipes.
I would use the Animation Nodes addon, but beware there is learning involved as it wont do any of this out of the box. You have to make an animation system up.

Otherwise You can animate some simple shape changes in 3D view, render them out as background art then bring that back into Blender so that you can add the text.

these kids have some nice tutorials on motion graphics + some ressources https://www.youtube.com/user/PartnersInCrimeGFX/videos

Thanks 3pointedit for the information, i ll learn the concept of animation nodes which is a great addon and try what you suggested. Maybe lower thirds are a bit too difficult for now, any chance you know a technic to achieve text wipe reveal which is apparently easier to do?

Thanks DanielSP, great ressources there.

edit:
duplicate post sorry

Attachments

You can create a box with the mask tool and color effect strip:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]475020[/ATTACH]

1. Create a mask shape
  2. Animate the mask shape so that it wipes onto screen
  3. Add a color effect strip to the VSE timeline, change its attributes to Blend Type=over drop
  4. Add a strip modifier to this strip and select the Mask you made. The timing can be absolute or relative to the start of the Scene.

Change the translucency of the box by changing the mask opacity.

Here is a tutorial that I made this morning to adress this question. Thanks for the idea, and I notice that they are very quick to render and play in real time.

Amazing. Thank you 3pointEdit for that tutorial and your time. Great help. I will try to learn more about vse, compositing node and animation to create multiple line text wipe reveal and try to automate the process with python.

Actually Animation Nodes addon is great for making a general purpose title tool. I started building one but time got away from me. You should be able to use text blocks from the text tool, then use the size of text block to drive the background boxes.

Yep i guess there is something interesting to do in that area i.e text motion graphics in blender. I came up with a solution for horizontal wipe reveal text. I set the text on the first scene layer then on the second scene layer i create planes the size of the whole line and animate them to scale down and use that second scene as a mask layer. It gives this result which is cool for a first try but i guess with the power of blender, its addon and its python api it is possible to create templates to automate the whole thing and create text motion graphics in different styles.

Horizontal? Vertical… anyway, that’s cool. Shame you have to use seperate scenes. I wonder if you could use multiple cameras from the same scene? Use an array modifier to replicate the same animation as many times as you like.

Yes i was not satisfied with the layer mask solution especially because it would have been a nightmare to automate. With this solution : http://blender.stackexchange.com/questions/58965/mask-single-object/58977
i think i found what i was searching for. Now i can go from there to create cool lower thirds and text animation.

Thats a cool solution. Good luck with the automation, looks like you’re onto a winner.

You can take this

Kids? It is a young woman. :smiley: