Old Piano

Hey.
Welcome everyone in my piano thread. :slight_smile:
I would like to share with you of my progress in creating of the realistic materials for old piano model.
Couple weeks ago i made a piano model to the scene of the old room. Model looked good but for me something was missing in textures. Yesterday I decided to come back to this model and I started to improve materials.
After two days of tweaking materials, I finished with this

1 Like

Close up

And from above

That looks really really great! Hasent been used in a long time :slight_smile: Well done!

Hi !
This looks good, really good !
That being said, I feel like the scratches on the edges are maybe a bit too regular, too thin also, it looks like a straight line, when in real life it would be irregular, with some parts being weary and some being still shiny and fine.
Also I don’t get how dust could’ve got on the “interior” part of the flap.

But that’s it, I like the rest of it, and I’d love to see a proper render

@pixellegolas Thanks!

@MDPunk Thanks for advice. I changed the scratches a little bit. I also thought about the dust in flap. Piano is not located vertically, is standing on little wheels, so the flap is tilted backwards.
Painted wood has a little pores. In these pores the dust may settle, even on things located vertically. Here is the example http://i.imgur.com/kblrjor.jpg

Update:
New model of black keys

And more

Part II

Hi Pawel,

The piano looks great. It is a pity that such old pianos are actually out of tune and playing on them is impossible.
By the way, will some of keys in your piano broken? Your keys are old only in material, but too perfectly located, which doesn’t happen even on non-old healthy pianos.

Hey Dmitry,

Thank you. You have right about keys. I changed it a little bit.

New render

AO:

Awesome texturing job! Really impressive,nothing to suggest!
Did you use adaptive subdivision for the last shot? Or normal maps? Can’t tell :smiley:

Thanks strapazie!
On the last shot i used only bump maps for craks, and particle system for these little black balls of dirt.

Just a slight thing - the grain on the black keys should be parallel with the top of the key. These are made from ebony wood cut along the grain. Otherwise - Brilliant!

Cheers, Clock.

Thank you Clock,
Good point, I forgot to rotate the wood grain texture. :slight_smile:

Very, very cool. Are you gonna render a turnaround of something motion-y…(plz:D

Really very nice.

@michalzisman Thank you.

@jim trim Thanks. Animation sounds good. I have some ideas for still renders with this piano, maybe later I’ll do animation. :slight_smile:

I like it already, PawelBrzu. I imagine it could be mysteriously playing by itself in the lobby of a haunted mansion.

If you would like to make it do something like this:

Just let me know… This was my first attempt - the process works better now. :yes:

Cheers, Clock.

Wow! Really Impressive! It’s incredible… nothing to say, only: GREAT!

@Benny_Flex Yeah. And when you close up to the piano, it’s stops playing, and you hear some strange, indistinct whisper comming from behind you.

@clockmender Looks interesting. :slight_smile:

@schizoping Thanks!

It’s been a while since since I wrote last post in this thread. I made this piano stool. I know it could looks better with hair sim, but it cost too much memoty.

Now I’m looking for wood textures to make flooring planks