Texel Density Checker 3.2.1 [UPDATE 16.10.20]

Hello, community!

with Texel Density Checker you can:

• Calculate Texel Density for model for different texture size (512px - 4096px) or with custom size and aspect ratio

• Rescale UV for getting texel density what you want

• Use Interactive Checker Material

• Copy TD from Active to Selected objects

• Vizualize Texel Density with Vertex Colors

• Vizualize UV Islands with Vertex Colors

• and more…

Texel Density Checker 3.2.1 (Blender 2.83 ang Higher) (16 Oct, 2020):

• [Fix] Operators don’t work if enable edit mode from outliner
  • [Improvement] Small Improvements

Texel Density Checker 3.2 (Blender 2.81 ang Higher) (29 Jun, 2020):

• [New] [Checker Material] New Option “UV Scale” for changing Tiling of Checker Texture (Very Useful with “UV Grid” Checker Texture Type)
  • [Fix] [Logic] Error for some operators if Object has no polygons
  • [Fix] [Set TD] Default TD value is 0
  • [Fix] [UI/UX] Image Editor Window switched to Console if opened several Image Editor Windows

UPDATE 3.0 (09.04.20) for Blender 2.81 and higher

[New] [Baking to VC] Baking UV Space for Each Islands to VC

[New] [Baking to VC] Baking TD by Island to VC

[New] [Baking to VC] Two Modes for Baking UV Islands to VC - By Island and By Overlap

[New] [Select] New Selection Modes - Faces By TD, Islands By TD, Islands By UV Space

[New] [Select] Reworked “Select by TD/UV Space”. Added some Selection Types: Equal To (with Treshold), Less To and Greater To

[New] [Select] Copy Calculated TD/UV Space value to “Select Value” field

[New] [Preferences] Optional Enable/Disable “Calling Select/Bake VC operator after changing Mode/Value”. By Default is Disabled

[Improvement] [Logic] Optimization Calculation TD and UV Space to List

[Improvement] [Logic] More Accurate Calculation of Average TD

[Improvement] [Logic] Refactoring of Code - Unified Variables Names, Multi File Structure of Addon

[Improvement] [UI/UX] Improvements of UI/UX. Reorganizing UI Panels. Now UI is more compact and more readable

[Improvement] [UI/UX] Filtering “Density Set” value

[Improvement] [UI/UX] Filtering “Custom Texture Size” value

[Improvement] [UI/UX] Precision of showing Gradient Values for Baking to VC now depends from range

[Improvement] [Other] Many small improvements

[Fix] [Logic] Incorrect Calculation TD for Complicated N-Gons

[Fix] [Logic] Infinite recurcive call when updating values in the fields

[Fix] [Other] Many small fixes

I hope this addon will be very useful for somebody!

addon absolutely free and available on Gumroad, GitHub and Blender Market

31 Likes

This is a very interesting add-on. Thank you.

Great addon could there be possibility to copy texel density from another object to selected?

1 Like

You can:

1. select object 1 (source) and measure TD with button “Calculate TD”
  2. select object 2 (target), manualy enter measured value from object 1 and click “Set My TD”

Thanks for idea, I may be add this feature in the future

whats different than equalize:

1 Like

As I know UV Equalize can’t calculate and set TD in px/cm

1 Like

mrven,
You are my heros. I had already asck this question here and you have made the addon! Very Big Idea! Congratulations et a great thanks!
I will test it rapidely…

Glad to hear it! :slight_smile:

Fantastic! I’ve been using other addons for this, but none of them allowed me to set the pixels per meter, so I’m looking forward to trying this out.

Could this work by mesearing the density of a single selected uv island and then apply it only on selected uvs in the same mesh?. I know the funtion called average island scale but sometimes is not usefull for me when I already have a desired denisty and I just want some uvs to be scale to that density.

Servapunk: Check if Magic UV doesn’t do this. I don’t have my Blender in front of me here, so I can’t check.
I believe it has a ‘measure’ and ‘set’ functionality that works off of your selection.

Now it’s not work for selected faces. Only average TD for all faces of mesh. But I plan to add this feature to the next version

Its good to know mrven, that is going to be so usefull, thank you.

Mighty Pea: I have magic UV but as far as I know it doesnt have this kind of funtionality. Maybe you are confunsing it with another addon. On the list of features on github is not listed something like that.

UPDATE 1.0.2 is here!

Changelog:

• Calculate and Set Texel Density for selected faces
  • Copy TD from Active object to Other
  • Minor bug fixes

Thanks for the update, the calculate density by selected face is working great. I dont know if you have also planned to implement setting the density also only on selected face. Currently it sets on the entire object. I think that would be usefull. Thank you again.

Setting TD for selected faces now work. May be you don’t check “selected faces”? Or maybe… if you want change TD for faces with different TD you need after “set My TD” use “Average Island Scale” (Ctrl+A) in UV-Editor. After this all faces must have correct TD.

Thank you, this is really a very interesting add-on.

I have the Problem, that the Texel Density isn’t calculated correct, it’s to high.

In the Background you can see an exactly 1m1m plane with a 10241024 UV-Grid. So, if im not worng, it have a Texel Density of 10.24px/cm. Now i want to set the Texel-Density with your addon of the Asset in the front also to 10.24px/cm, but it doesn’t work. Did you guy’s know what i’m doing wrong here? Thank you for your help!

I think I know what is wrong. You use Unit Preset “Centimeters”. Addon works correct only with blender units or preset “Meters”.
You can change Units, Rescale you model and try again calculate/set TD.

Thanks for you reply. I try fix it in the future.

HOTFIX 1.0.3!!!

• Fix method of calculation Texel Density. Previously TD calculated incorrectly.
  • Fix final TD, if Islands have differents TD.

Known issues:

• Addon works correct only with Blender Units or Unit Preset “Meters”. If you set any other Unit System, TD will be incorrect.

Thank you, that’s it, now it works perfect! Amazing Addon, helps me a lot in producing Game-Assets.