flashing edges video overlay

Does anyone have suggestions for how to achieve these edge highlighting and building effects (e.g. @ ~3:36)?

Creating meshes and building them seems overwhelming. The grease pencil isn’t quite capable enough I don’t think and I don’t know how to get the “glow” with GP either (- compositing)?. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

You can try Btrace addon. It seems made for that effect.
https://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Extensions:2.6/Py/Scripts/Curve/Btrace

Or you can use a technique employing wireframe (modifier or material attribute).
You can try a freestyle render.
You can also simply use a cavity mask in your material.

Thank you very much for the reply. That looks like a very interesting add-on. I should have said that I’m trying to achieve this effect in an existing video rather than with an animated mesh though. I’m using Blender because there will be animation as well.

So far I’ve gotten to the point of creating a mask in the compositor and parenting it to a track marker. That lets me isolate the region of interest which can then be color manipulated. I still haven’t gotten the glow yet. I’m thinking I need to combine the cutout with a plane with emission characteristics but haven’t gotten it to work yet.

I’ve also been researching how to do edge detection with nodes, but nothing too promising so far.

Moved from “General Forums > Blender and CG Discussions” to “Support > Compositing and Post Processing”

This is an example of rotoscoping, which is a very laborious thing to do. You trace out all he line s that you want as the best edges arent always apparent from edge detection.

Thank you that’s helpful. Now I have a search term to dig into!