Link any Blender icon in forum post easily

I found some pages where people put all the Blender icons in a single image (or a couple of images) but found no place with individual images for each icon that can be linked to a forum post (or used in any other way). I searched for a while in the Blender code itself in developer.blender.org but with my poor code knowledge didn’t find any “icons” directory. Is there any or did someone make such an icon library available ?

I’m not exactly sure what you’re trying to do here. What are you trying to use the Blender icon (logo?) for?

Sorry for my lack of clarity. I was talking about these icons. The reason I’d like to have them all available individually is that I like to explain things without having to describe where I click but rather by showing the icon. But I always have to crop what I want and upload it, while having all the icons in one place would be handy. But it seems there’s not such thing at least on developer.blender.org.

Ah. That’s because the icons all live on that single icon sheet. I believe that there are SVG sources for them somewhere in the Blender source tree, but I’ve never made the effort of going to look for them.

I believe it is an extremely poor decision just to rely on showing an icon. The same icon can be used in different places in the interface. Context is much more important, so if you want to highlight something you feel is important then show it with some context as to where in the interface it is

But I always have to crop what I want and upload it, while having all of them one place would be handy.
This takes very little effort.

So I started creating a full gallery here

I have generated all the PNGs with proper names (except 3 of them because they’re not named in the original SVG) and I’m getting close to finding a way to generate all the SVGs.
The gallery in the README takes a while to load, I wonder if the hyperlinks can be shortened considering the images are in subdirectories of the same repository.

When I explain something, I am already in a particular context, so it’s usually obvious which button I’m referring to.

This takes very little effort.

Let me compare :

• the old way :

1. open Blender
    2. go where the icon is
    3. take a screenshot
    4. open the file browser
    5. find the image
    6. open it with an application that can crop it
    7. crop the image
    8. save it
    9. upload it in post or even on imgur if I need more than 3, and then link it in post.
  • the new way :

1. open the library from Firefox bookmarks
    2. Right-click “copy link” on the icon
    3. paste in post

not to mention that the steps in the new way are just simple clicks and stay in the web browser whereas in the old way each step is more complex and they require to open multiple applications.

You may find this ridiculous but I think we all have limited time to spend helping others and discussing on BA or Stack exchange. Every little time saver matters (and I don’t find this one so little).

update : fixed many icons and added all the 32x32 as well as the brushes, matcaps and some others.

How about having them with the smileys ?

That’s… actually a pretty clever idea. Hmm…

Cool ! Well I would definitely make use of it. I already use my gallery quite often in my posts.

The Inkscape community forum and inkscape forum both do that already :
http://forum.inkscapecommunity.com/index.php?action=post;board=5.0
http://www.inkscapeforum.com/posting.php?mode=post&f=5

Although they don’t have 478 icons to deal with.