Secret ambience

Any tips, tricks or comments?

The concept is good. My interpretation is that reading (or other tasks) can turn into a time wrap, which is definitely true. But then maybe the hourglass is also a UFO? It’s fun, but most of the canvas is blank, so the scene seems too empty, it should be full. Keep going, experiment!

Looks intriguing.
Technical improvements I would do :

• use

(especially for the glass which has no fresnel)

• dim the bump on the book. Right now it looks fake. Maybe use microdisp too.
  • emit light only from the flame mesh rather than adding a point light on top of it (especially considering the top is the least bright spot)
  • use a vertical gradient with true temperature values on the flame. Open this file Candle flame.blend (641 KB) and see the node tree. I used real temperatures with a blackbody but cheated on the blue because it was too bright otherwise.
    If you want to make it very realistic, this tutorial seems really good :

Thanks for tip. But putting those nodes for the candle flame made the flame look like cube.

Oh, so I guess you’re not using a mesh but rather a fire simulation. In that case you can delete the Texture coordinate node and the Mapping node and replace the Gradient Texture by an Attribute node in which you type density in the text field.

I work in cycles, and the only nodes I used are emission connected to material output (volume) and hue saturation/value, brightness/contrast, color ramp and attribute (flame).
I have no texture coordinates,mapping nodes and gradient textures. The reason why is there so much light at the top of the flame is because I put a volume scatter in the world/background so it’s a little bit misty, without volume scatter you wouldn’t even notice the “lamp”.

For the nodes, I was referring to the file I provided previously (which is also in Cycles).
I know there is volume scattering, but the point light you put at the top shouldn’t be there, but rather in the middle of the flame.