Axis constraints in manipulators? I found something but it's older version.

I’m trying to find out if there’s a way to add axis constraints to Blender. I was always a bit surprised to find out that by default there’s still no axis constraints in the move/roatate/scale manipulators like in C4D, Max, Maya and Modo. It’s such a basic thing which almost all 3d software have but not Blender. Why is that?

Luckily, I found out that someone added axis constraints to the manipulators in Blender - https://blenderartists.org/forum/showthread.php?381433-New-Transform-manipulator&highlight=custom+manipulator I downloaded that version, tried it and it was great, exactly what I needed! I could easily constrain my operations to two axis with the manipulator. The problem is that this is an older version and now we have Blender 2.78 which is what I prefer to use but doesn’t have these axis constraints. Is it possible to have this new manipulator in the latest version of Blender? If not, is there a way I can copy some files from that older version which contain the code for the new manipulators and paste it in the new Blender? That would be awesome!

I’m trying to abandon 3ds Max because of the latest cost increases and licensing changes and the missing axis constraints in the manipulators is one of my biggest struggles with Blender. It’s faster for me to use these axis constraints instead of always typing on the keyboard “G -> Shift+Z” or “R -> Shift+X” etc.

I think I read someone saying that these axis constraints are planned to be included by default in Blender 2.80. Is this true? If yes, that would be big! A lot more people with background in Max, C4D, Maya and Modo will be willing to dive deeper into Blender. For anyone that doesn’t like the constraints, maybe there could be an option to hide them but I don’t see a reason to, it’s a universal thing in the 3D world and they help a lot.

Thanks so much!

You can also just hold shift and then grab the axis you want to exclude on the manipulator. So if you want to move on x and y, hold shift and grab the blue handle. That said, looking forward to a better implementation in 2.8 as well. :slight_smile:

Thanks, Sebastian. I actually already know this trick but the problem is if the manipulator axis points straight towards you, it becomes invisible and you can’t use this technique at which point your only option is G->Shift+X etc. Hopefully someone could share if it’s possible to insert the code of the updated manipulators from the link I provided into other versions of Blender, for example 2.78.4.

Not just in C4D, Max, Maya Modo, but also in my middleware tools like Daz Studio, Carrara, Poser, iClone. Many ZBrushers, myself included, cheered when a gizmo came with recent 4R8 update - which you get to customize to the extreme. A universal “Universal” Manipulator is as essential to any 2017 CG tool as custom menu bar and icons.

Very glad to see Blender 2.8 adopting a new “6 direction” translate manipulator. Honestly, Blender’s default screen space translate (G) is just so antique and 2D and pointless in a 3D space.

In typical 3D viewports, to get a thing from one point to specific point in space, one click typically, two clicks maximum. How many keys to hit to do that simplest 3D action in Blender? It’s mind-boggling. :D:spin:;):slight_smile:

I have figured out how to cut down redundant steps so far using custom hotkeys but I am thinking of moving from 2.79 to 2.8, just because? Yep. It has a default 6 directional Translate.

I plan to propose the following “simple clean Universal Manipulator” design to Blender devs. What you guys think?

Oh, and it is Daz Studio’s (7 years old???) Universal Manipulator. I particular love the one click to roll and one click to scale-all. And how the main manipulator disappears as soon as you start scaling/ rotating/ translating.

The custom-color guides/ show increment can be turned on/off. Snapping to angle/unit optional.

1 Like

I just started moving from 3DS Max to Blender and this is exactly what I was lookin for. Is there a way for me to try it out? That looks really cool.