Google Summer of Code - 2017 - we need a GIF to advertise it on twitter/facebook/etc.

Hi all,

Ton suggested it would be great if the artist community could do “a fun gif to share via twitter and facebook” that our users could post on their twitter and facebook feeds to help recruit google summer of code students.

Ton suggested the content should be “I wouldn’t add more info than the ‘best job ever’ and ‘code for 3d tools, simulation or rendering’ and url”. or ‘“Best 3D coding summer job for students, go to blender.org”. Or something funnier :)’

I’m thinking something like

1. ‘Need a Summer Job?’ <check animation>
  2. ‘Are you a college student who loves coding and 3D?’ <triple check animation>
  3. ‘Then apply for “Google Summer of Code” for Blender’
  4. ‘and spend the summer getting PAID to code 3D’. <link to Blender GSoC page>

Here is a flyer we used for a past GSoC (actually I think we used a variant of it)

LetterRip

something fun?

:smiley: but using memes can be tricky copyright wise, if it’s a gif seq from a movie or something.

but there are other fun gifs there made by the community such as

http://whoblend.tumblr.com/post/116286116108

with a white frame, and copy

“halp with unruly 3d cubes”
“best summer job ever”
“and get paid by google”

blender.org/gsoc

or nasa have lots of stuff in the public domain

http://whoblend.tumblr.com/post/141304522551

anyways, something like that funny

white frame

“when bone axis flips”

“code a fix”
“get paid by google”

blender.org/gsoc

or something like that, would be fun to try and leverage the memes in whoblend.tumblr.com and if possible point out you get paid by google. if google is ok to make gifs about GSoC which they hopefully is :smiley:

Are you a student that can 3d code?

Get a summer job and develop a great feature for Blender 3D,

Show your skills and get paid by Google in Google Summer of Code,

go to blender.org to apply and make the best 3D application even better!

I actually like Ton’s version better. Students will click that.
As long they can code 3D stuff and they know they can get paid for a job that will look good in their CV.

But it would be nice to show that google is in it too and not just a spam gif. It’s better that it is less jokingly.

The gif has to appeal to people who have zero knowledge about Blender. Blenderheads who program will already generally be aware of GSoC, so using a gif that relates to knowing Blenders interface, etc. probably won’t be of much benefit.

LetterRip agree, but the common denominator for “internet people” hehe are memes. and often those with familiar content, such as from movies.

But I am up for creating the gif! the technical part is nothing hard, getting it down in file size with some tricks so it works to share on tumblr and twitter should be a priority.

I believe in something either beautiful, maybe a really well done render. with just some part of it animated. then the message.

I’ve done some gif with blender animations composited on images.

maybe something like this

Raytheon the Icecream Terminal Girl

with a message about coding & fun & 3d.

I’ve also done some pixel art animations for a game I am working on, with blender :smiley:
blender actually for me had a way better workflow than photoshop for making pixel art animations.

so I am up for making a pixel art gif also, maybe not so 3d. but blender can be used for almost everything anyways.

if you need help I can double down after some freelance work and help out, would be awesome to have a collaboration progress with anyone that wants to team up!

Bigbad,

I’m open to whatever - would be nice to have a couple of different options to present for Ton to pick what he likes best.

Want a Fun Summer Job that looks great on your Resume?
If you are a college student who enjoys coding 3D,
then apply for Google Summer of Code and get paid
to add features to the free 3D animation suite Blender!

[deleted ]

This summer
Your code will take another dimension.

Be prepared
To get paid by Google

to code an amazing piece of software
in 3D

Apply to “Google Summer of Code” for Blender Organization

link to Blender.org and Blender GSOC page

“Are you ready to challenge your coding skills? This summer Blender and Google challenge you…”

Or something like that but in good English :slight_smile:

That flyer looks awful.

This can only go wrong

forcing memes is bad.

But whatever, I’ll do it anyway

I agree with fdfxd on memes. Don’t try to act relevant and trendy in an attempt to appeal to a larger demographic. It will only make you seem mildly funny at best and at worst, embarrassing and instantly dated to both people familiar and unfamiliar with Blender. Just go with something more original instead. Shouldn’t be too hard to come up with some sort of creative idea.

fdfxd,

I don’t think it needs to be a meme, just something to get the word out that is easy for users to post on their twitter/facebook feed.

I think we actually used something else, but the link to the flyer we used is no longer working and I can’t find it in my inbox… also there is no need to be disparaging, we would welcome a high quality submission from you :slight_smile:

Another idea is a cool eye catching 3D screenshot with the text beside/overlayed

Here is a (very rough) concept of something that might work - tagline, cool 3D image (need higher contrast and more color), and then short summary and link.

http://pasteall.org/pic/index.php?id=113559

Perhaps something silly like from Caminandes would work better.

Anyway it’s still awful. Just being honest.

Alright I need some info to start with.

juancarlosgzrz,

what ‘info to start with’ do you need?

Anyone made any attempts they’d care to share - anyone… anyone…