Need Feedback Please?

Hello, and thank you for taking notice of this thread.

I am new to this thread and have just finished learning the basics of CGI in Blender. It would be the best if anyone could leave feedback in the comments section.

This is my attempt to render a silhouette of a lizard

And this is just to show the modeling.

Attachments

I don’t want to be rude so I apologize in advance if I come across that way. I think you should think through what defines a lizard’s silhouette as a lizard’s silhouette. For me, the silhouette has too little information in it top identify it as a lizard so I would have never guessed it was a lizard. In my opinion, a lizard’s a 4-legged reptile with a long tail. From the camera’s point of view, I can’t tell if there are legs at all and how many, and I don’t see the tail because it’s hidden behind the body. My advice is to experiment with the orientation of the lizard in regard to the camera, and with the pose, until the silhouette shows everything that makes a lizard a lizard. Don’t be afraid to google lizard silhouettes for inspiration!

To add to what was already commented on, the scale reference doesn’t quite work in a silhouette. It’s what looks like a naked tree but don’t know if it’s a big lizard or if the tree is far away.

The segments on the sun and on the tree are visible, but none on the lizard so it’s not a style thing. The ground is smooth, which it wouldn’t be in a real world.

Would probably be better to put the lizard in an environment it could be found in the nature. If it’s the giant monster kind, more stuff that makes it clear it’s a giant lizard.

I haven’t stopped learning after 8 years, and I would really want to know if I could say I’ve finished learning something with such confidence. What defines the extent of basics in CGI? You took a Blender course that defined it both in content and time?

Hi!

The first thought that crossed my mind on the top image was, oh its the cliff from the lion king! That may have been harsh but I don’t mean to be rude. I just tell you what I think I see.

It’s good to have come as far as you have don’t get me wrong, most people probably don’t even know Blender exists! You got some basic modelling down and played a bit with the sapling add-on, sweet! However that is not even the tip of the iceberg. 3D art is so vast it’s ridiculous, you got modelling, sculpting, animation, materials, lighting, post processing and a whole load of other stuff. It is truly overwhelming.

Keep on exploring and experimenting, you got loads to learn but you can also (already) look back to when you first opened blender and think about all the things you learned sense then.

I encourage you to keep pushing ofc! My first render I have not shown to a lot of people but to me it is very important, I look back at it and then I look at my latest renders and I am always amazed by the progress I have made over my 2 years sense I discovered Blender and art in general. This might be one of those renders for you that you will look back to.

Keep motivated and keep learning =)

My suggestion would be not to make it quite such a dark silhouette, rather throw in a little bit of light striking the camera’s side of the lizard, so that some details become visible, enough to make it clear in the image that it is a lizard. Having some light catching on the lizard’s eyes could be good too.