Female Magician

Update: Latest render

Hey guys! About a year ago I started getting obsessed with biomechanical forms and came across HR giger. I wanted to recreate his Female Magician:

and so I did. but I never got around to surfacing and lighting and doing a fun lil animation because i got a job doing vfx in hollywood which took up my time. I’ve gotten a lot faster with general 3d stuff now, so I’ll be continuing this to completion and posting my WIP here:

initial modeling almost done, just need to tighten up some screws here and there:

turntable here:

Looks very nice so far.Great organic gigerish modeling,would be great to see this with materials and lighting.

Looks good so far!

thanks ya’ll! Gigerish modeling is complicated but his art formed the basis for a lot of modern science fiction concepts so i kinda wanna explore his style. I got the weird penis vest modeled tonight and I think that’s the final piece. most everything is uv unwrapped though as i continue i might adjust things here and there.

i created a base shader and set up some basic lights. I’ve never used cycles before though (although ive got a good amount of professional vray expereince), so am I doing these nodes correctly?

also why is cycles so slow? I plugged my hdri into the environment slot and im using an emissive plane for lighting. Are there faster lights or HDRI techniques out there that I’m missing? I’m also gpu rendering and changed a couple things around in the render settings but my render times just went from forever to not as long.

doing some basic animation. I need to work on the curves a bit to lessen the stretching and maybe some of the animation, but so far so good! I’m not the best animation person, tell me watcha think!

i like the way it goes.the organic-snake like animation looks nice.gigers art is very vulgar with mud and slime everywhere.i would like to see it this way.mostly the cg renders you see are very clean and polished.HR Giger is dark and mud.and a alien cave in the backround or since this is a magican,a alien cathedral in the backround woult perfecly fit.

@pixelgrip I’ve pretty much only shown viewport pictures so far, dont worry the textures will come!

speaking of, i created a few shaders:

excuse the potato quality, just doing some quick render thingys
comments and critiques always welcome!

more work on materials n stuff. this isnt a flattering angle, but dont worry itll be fixed later:

soon

This smoke reminds me of when i open my freezer and smoke comes out. i usually stand in the smoke and feel a bit refreshed after a hot summer day. that is not the feeling i am trying to convey with this project however

being in a room with this lady would make me stiffen up and feel cold inside

Attachments

i like the smoke in post #11.the shaders looking not bad with the little bumpdetails,but something is still missing,maybe more dramatic lighting?its looks still a bit clean but thats imho.

hmm yeah my friend says it’s missing something as well. It’s already such a heavy scene my computer is struggling to make changes too lol. I’ll do some postpro and see how it looks

doing a quick postpro go through. my smoke domain is getting in the way of the zdepth. does anyone here know a way to get smoke to have proper zdepth?

did some more comp work on this angle

I like the lighting in the last render.if you want to reproduce the surface from the original image,your material looks to bright aluminum like.ist a nice artistic look as is,but for the original look you have to make a black metal.the reflection give it the shiny look then.if i see it right you are useing some ao dirt techniqe allready,imho that could be way more stronger,see the original the side of the head things are like aged dark dirty metal.if you dont know yet how to make dust,here i post a link,maybe you can give it a try on the top of the shader for even more subtle realism.

ya, i was kinda looking to make my own design with the materials n stuff, just using Giger’s model as a base

it’s really cool, it looks like something egyptian but with a sci fi spin on it, very nice, but if I may, the face should have a bit more light on it or make it a slightly bit darker so it would pop out a bit more out of the big crown because on some of the views, we are kind of lost in the big crown