Trying to get hair particle to follow surface of head

As the title states, that’s the goal. Currently I have several seperate hair meshes, positioned slightly below the surface of the head. I’ve done this to segregate various hair areas more effectively. And to control spread of children hairs. Plus I find it very convenient to be able to turn off and on areas as Needed, to make tweaking simpler and less obstructed.

But the question is this: Given I’m using spereate underlying meshes for hair, is there a way to get the particle hairs to follow the surface curves and face of the head object, thereby creating a more natural “lay” of the hair strands? Ideally, I’d like to be able to “Select Hair Particles vertices” to shrink wrap them to the surface of the skull. Or, be able to snap the particles to the surface of 'the head. Magnet like. From there I can add a bit of an offset for loft.

Also, there is one other wish … Can hair particles be extruded, a segment at a time?

That’s the wish.list Any thoughts, suggestions, recommendations, insults, or even comments lauding brilliance, are welcome.