another face

hi, im working on a basic female charakter, to proof my current skills. Its the first time I painted all Textures, thought would be kinda rough, but it gives a nice feeling of control. I’m focusing on a more or less photorealistic look.

The renderings are currently kind of noisy, but already took about 20 mintues on cpu.

Attachments

Lovely!
I think there is something that it is making her a bit masculine… But I can’t find out what. Maybe it is what you are going for. I love to see more of your process if it is possible.

Well, looking good.

The skin lacks shine (from oil and sweat) and doesn’t have SSS. It makes her looks like a painted sculpture.

She also looks somewhat masculine, but that might be the intention.

Very good start!!
like Tonatiuh said,looking a little bit masculine,i think it’s the jaw,large and very rectangular.
And i think that the transition from the jaw to the neck.The skin need some SSS.
Gone keep an eye on your work.

thx for the feedback!
specular and SSS is still a little problem. And i dont know how to set up a nice looking eye material. but here some improvements.

Attachments

On the skin specularity. In my last projects, I use the reflectivity set-up, as explained by cinycat pro. Andrew Price also presents this method in a YouTube video on PBR materials. If you only take the part that manages the reflectivity, and plug-in your skin shader, you’ll probalby have it more easy to make the skin look even better. (I mean, it looks great allready.) On the internet, you can find sources on how skinshaders could be build up. Just google it, and you’ll find plenty.

On the eyes, I suggest the same. I don’t know much about this, but take the diffuse, or SSS of the eye, or whatever, take a diffuse and connect in a PBR reflectivity node group.

I’m not an expert on shading, and on the looks of it, you are much better. Just try to build the skin and eyes up from different layers, which you can find in a material.

And as I mentioned earlier. The skin shader allready looks great/impressive. Keep up the good work

The pose is remarkable and my favorite angle so far is the second. She has a very intense, hawkish gaze that I find entrancing though I suppose from a lighting stand point, it’s darkening things up a bit.

I can’t imagine the patience this has taken you! My only note for change would be that pores so large around the tip of the nose and around the nostrils and along the jawline always betray, to me, a “handmade” texture feel.

So much of this has a delightful painterly and sculptural feel. It’s really something already to be proud of. I’m looking forward to whatever changes you wish to make to the details.

PBR materials was a good hint. I simplified my material a lot and it behaves way better now.

Attachments

Much better, great work.

Looks like the eye-white shader needs some work… It should look a lot more ‘milky-er’ and less mirror like.
Try using an sss-shader and some fresnel reflections.

Bert

I overworked many parts of the face. I tried to get rid of the masculine look. I think, the eyeshader is also fixed.

Attachments

That last render is really something! she looks amazing!

I haven’t gone through all the comments but seeing your last render here’s my advice :
To me the biggest improvement to make which could make your model stand out is the hair. Hair is complicate and always takes a lot of time especially for long hair. I haven’t really dived into it myself but I’ve heard that from those who have. CGCookie has a whole free course on hair styling here. Although it’s partly outdated I’m sure there is still a lot to take from it. Also they have a non-outdated/non-free tutorial on the hair material. There is also on Youtube

tutorial which seems pretty good according to the result. From what I can tell, yours needs improvements especially on the styling. It doesn’t look very natural and also we shouldn’t see so much skin in the middle.

For the rest :

• I don’t know if you have fresnel on the skin but the cheek is quite reflective although it’s facing the camera and the rim parts (don’t know if there’s a more appropriate name) don’t seem much more reflective, but that may be due to the environment.
  • more dense, longer (and maybe thinner) peach fuzz. Also I would add some on the arms.
  • The skin grain is quite big and uniform. That’s another hard thing to get right, but the skin’s microstructure is very complex and has multiple variations on different parts of the body. I see you tried some stretching on the forehead but it doesn’t follow the eyebrows. Did you use some generated noise or have you searched for some “human skin bump map” textures or something like that ? I just saw this other WIP on Ellen Page and the 3rd image gives a good example I think.

On the shape of the mesh I have nothing to say. To me it looks both correct and interesting. Apart from this all-time ear helix thing. I’ve never understood why most 3D models always get the ear helix all rounded and swollen (apart from the highest quality level models), but I guess I’ll have to try it myself to find out.

There are still a couple of details but then it starts to come to the limitations of Blender (like skin deformations on the

and the

). There are a couple of muscle system add-ons but I doubt they can give any improvement on a not very muscular model like this one.

Thx ChameleonScales for this very helpful advices, i’m still trying to implement all your valuable hints.

this render have 100 samples and rednered about 30 Minuters. Its really noisie, especially at the eyes… But, you can see some progress.

Attachments

Some little changes, mostly materials and light. Curly hair is my new challenge.

Attachments

I like her new hair and this new image overall. I didn’t mention it but her lower lip looks a bit flat and the corners of her mouth are too sharp.
Also now her iris look absent (although they were too bright before).

ChameleonScales, thx you have a really good understanding of human anatomy.
because of the new denoise feature, i was in the mood to try a face animation

These are all good poses and portraits of a woman. But all of them have harsh, unflattering light – bluish and hot. Also, her hair sometimes looks like she has dandruff.

The art of glamour photoraphy is a highly-refined one that you should study very, very carefully. It’s all in not only the placement of the light but the tint of the light, as well. There’s also such a thing as a “portrait lens” which achieves a very slightly soft focus.

Treat your lady to a marvelous portrait sitting, re-imagining all of the shots you’ve come up with here. She’ll love to have a nice portfolio when she pitches for modeling jobs. :slight_smile:

The model is really good and quite realistic, she has character.
With the animation you went straight into uncanny valley. She has a stare most of the time, blinks too seldom, the animation of the different face parts don’t fit with each other, and there seems to be some kind of floating transistions, not holding the expressions long enough, wrong (automatic? I guess) spacing between poses. But for a test it’s ok.