Selecting two layers crashes blender

Hi All,

Just having issues tonight for some reason with blender - shift selecting two layers is crashing Blender to desk top.
First layer is fine, second layers on some are fine but first bottom left layer crashes. I have objects already being built on most layers and had no issues until opening it tonight… sry cannot share file due to copyrights.

Any ideas please? Thnx in advance!

Porpita

Append the objects to a new file. File -> append, object folder inside the .blend.

Thnx JA12 - That solves the issue from a working point of view and has been carried out :slight_smile:
Any ideas why this happens though? Just a glitch? Or something I have done? It was 1 lot of text that was the issue btw… or seems to be - the rest I could append but as soon as I tried appending ‘Text006’ as it was labelled it still crashed appending it. That said no big loss at all but just intrigued… :slight_smile:

Thnx again for quick response!

Porpita

Some, but randomly guessing is waste of time. Nothing you do should cause a crash and should be reported on the blender bug tracker. But that also means the developers need an example .blend and steps to reproduce it, same as people here when they try to help investigate it further and comment on their findings here or directly on the tracker (if you provide a link to the report).

Always assume that the future support questions you may have will also require an example .blend. It’s worth more to spend time preparing a test file you can share than writing any description of a problem without one. Even if you provided screenshots that happen to reveal the cause, the file would still be useful for producing visuals when communicating the culprit and the solution back to you.

In the long run it’s the fastest way to use images for explaining and a .blend for troubleshooting. Takes a lot of guesswork out of the equation, and requires less text to communicate back and forth. Tutorial linked in my signature has more specifics.

Would recommend thinking “any ideas?” as “many ideas!”. Without getting a lot of information about the problem and what you’re working with, that usually means people have to answer you with a question, or there are so many possibilities that listing all of them would result to many guesses, which in turn would result to you trying many things that don’t work and still might not find the cause. Easier to share an example .blend and receive answers that actually help, and experiences working out issues with the community should turn out great.

Welcome to the forum :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=JA12;3165513] It’s worth more to spend time preparing a test file you can share than writing any description of a problem without one. Even if you provided screenshots that happen to reveal the cause, the file would still be useful for producing visuals when communicating the culprit and the solution back to you.

Thnx JA12 I’ll bear that in mind.