Parenting and object location

I have a large number of blender objects that I am trying to animate as a unit as well as, then animate some individual items.

I have all the objects as children of an empty I am using as an anchor to animate the whole group, I tested this and all the parts are moving properly with my anchor. Now comes my issue. I added another empty that I want to use to animate a few of these parts. I created the empty, placed it where it needed to be on frame 0 of my animation, made it a child of my main anchor and it moved. So, I removed the child constraint, snapped the cursor to where I wanted it, remade the child of constraint and it moved…somewhere else, still not back the place where it needed to be.

I cant figure out why all the other objects worked fine, but now when I try to add something new, it wont cooperate.

Did you click set inverse?

If you’re using child of constraints, my guess is the main “anchor” empty is at 0,0,0 and the other one is somewhere else. The child of constraint attaches the child object as if the parent object is its new 0,0,0, and the child object moves to that new location. Click the “Set Inverse” button on the constraint to attach the child object at its current location.

also be aware that this may be an instance where just parenting may be better than using the ‘child of’ constraint…
not sure…
would have to look at your setup…

I personally rarely use the ‘child of’ … I always try to use Parenting if I at all possibly can… (it’s makes for simpler setups)

and some times when things get massively complex in a Rigg … simple is what you need the most of…