Retargetting Armature Differences

Hi there!

Sorry the title isn’t that concise, I don’t know exactly how to say it.

Essentially I have a custom player model that’s already rigged that I want to mod into a game. The problem is that the rig doesn’t match up with the animations. As in when trying to put it in game you get a nightmare of a model that’s stretched in different ways.

The game’s player models and their rigs were made in 3Ds Max and the rig for the custom model came from elsewhere. When I say it’s already rigged, I mean I used an auto-rigger. (I know… I suck) The rig works perfectly on its own.

So I created a couple python scripts, one that renames the bones to the proper naming convention for the game, and one that copies the bone roll from the player model I wish to replace into my model. This still left me with a rather deformed model in-game.

What else is there that makes an armature from one program incompatible with the other? Is it the bones heads ails? If the heads ails pointed in the same direction as the player model I want to replace, would that potentially fix the problem?

I’m just rather stumped. I know the vertex weights are fine as I also did a test using the auto-rigger on the original player model, then just re-parenting it to its original armature. It’s just something to do with the bones.

If it’s the head ail stuff, I suppose I could do some Vector math in a Python script to calculate the direction then rotate the target rig to that direction.

Any help\information is greatly appreciated.

Post a blend file please - it could be a number of things…

I am not sure that rolling bones without looking at what that does is a good idea though.

Cheers, Clock.