Texture on stl file issues

HI
Im new to blender. I followed a tutorial regarding applying texture on a stl file for 3d printing.
But the mesh/faces have these strange narrow shapes, and I do not know how to fix it.

This leads to some very uneven texture surface

The stl is exported from solidworks. How can I alter or fix the faces, so i can get a more even texture surface_

Is just that one side textured?
If so, switch to top ortho view (Numpad-7 and - if necessary - Numpad-5).
Then Tab into Edit mode, select those top polygons and hit U > Project From View.

It is a tad better, but still far away from even… Is there a way to ’uniform’ the polygons?It is a tad better, but still far away from even… Is there a way to ’uniform’ the polygons?

Post the .blend file, please.

Pedal 3.blend (763 KB)
Here you go.

So, any suggestions?

Your problem is the Subsurf on those elongated polygons.
Can’t you export from Solidworks with a much denser, more uniform topology (to be able to get along without Subsurf)?

Otherwise we’re talking about a significant rework of the geometry within Blender.

I have tried with both coarse and fine polygons settings.
The elongated polygons are there no matter what, it’s just the amount of them that varies.
What about meshlab? Can it do the trick?

Another thing I don’t understand is why the the polygons aren’t symmetric in areas where the model is symmetric?

You should go ask the programmers of Solidworks why that is…:wink:
BTW, does it have to be STL at this stage? I get it, the final export needs to be STL for print, but STL just happens to be triangles only. What can Solidworks export that might be more useful (e. g. supporting quads) in this intermediate step?