Troubles importing .mdl files

I installed an addon for Blender that allows me to import .mdl files, but whenever I try to import one, I get the error shown below. Does anyone know what I can do to fix this issue?

As far as I can tell, it’s a fairly generic error message. Are you sure the plugin is supported by your version of Blender?

your running MS windows AS the administrator !!!
not good !!!

and what version of winblows is this 7? 8? 10 ?

also what kind of mdl is it ?
as in what software made it ?

Why is that not good?

and what version of winblows is this 7? 8? 10 ?

Windows 7 Professional (64-bit)

also what kind of mdl is it ?
as in what software made it ?

It’s a character model from a Garry’s Mod addon, if that helps at all.

not good ,as in i am guessing YOU LIKE AND WANT!!! viruses and other malware installed very easily

Windows is already so bloody easy to “crack” as a normal NON!!! administrator user

so why make it VERY VERY VERY!!! easy to turn your computer into part of a " Botnet"

one should have to be LICENSED to use a “general purpose” computer , just like Lawyers and doctors have to be

Garry’s Mod addon

of zero use with out a link to this file

of zero use with out a link to this file

Addon; https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=104691717

Exact file; https://www.dropbox.com/s/bdzbnogeyr6hcez/base_male.mdl?dl=0

That’s a uniquely obnoxious way of formatting text.

This error looks like text-encoding isn’t being handled properly, e.g. it’s trying to use utf-8 with cp1252. Make sure to remove any non-ASCII characters from your file paths, as well as text inside those files, then try again.

By non-ASCII, I mean anything that is not in this table:

That means no umlauts, accents or other “foreign” stuff and no special characters not found in this table.

edit: the character 0x9d maps to RIGHT DOUBLE QUOTATION MARK, so you might want to look out for that.

I apologize, not exactly sure what it is I’m supposed to do here. The directory is accurate if that’s what you mean;

That’s troubling, but you can disregard it anyway. I’ve looked at the importer you are using:

``` WarCraft MDL Importer

What is this?

This is a Blender 2.6 addon which allows to import from WarCraft MDL model
files (.mdl). Because the project is still in its early stages, many features
are not done yet. Currently only the import of the very basic geometry works,
but I aim to improve the script whenever I can. Future projects might be an
exporter and support for the MDX model format (.mdx).

</i>
It's a completely different format, it just happens to use the extensions .mdl as well. It expects text files, but your files are binary, so it chokes on those non-text bytes...

A quick google search tells me that for Garry's Mod you should be using [these tools instead](http://steamreview.org/BlenderSourceTools/). Those don't seem to use ".mdl" files, either, however. You should ask the developers of that mod if this is their own custom format and whether an importer/converter is available.

Haha. I had everything typed up that you just posted, BeerBaron. I didn’t see your post until I hit the preview button.
Ah well, at least there is one thing I can add:

This tool seems to fill that gap.

Agreed. But nonetheless he has a point.

Malware takes on the characteristics of the account it infects. If you become exposed to it while running your machine with an elevated account, the malware will have the same elevated rights, possibly even unrestricted access to your entire system, including the capability to install or uninstall software.

That is why you should not use admin accounts for everyday computing - especially not for anything regarding web access.

I doubt there is much value in that extra little bit of “protection”. If you run malicious code, you’re fucked either way. The Administrator account is disabled by default and 99% of users never change this, so why would malware bother trying to take advantage of the 1% that do? It can do enough damage without admin rights, e.g. encrypt all the personal files. If it really needed admin rights for some reason, it could just show some fake “application update dialogue”, after which the user will expect to click away the security warning.

I have the same problem issues with Blender when I’m trying to import any .mdl file.