Unable to Rotate with mouse buttons

Okay here’s the issue:

I’m on Windows 7. I run the current version of Blender.

While working on an object using the screw modifier, I was suddenly unable to rotate the object with the mouse (I use a three button mouse with a scroll wheel). I also cannot move anything in the UV map window using the mouse. The mouse works just fine in other apps.

I unchecked the manipulate center points button here

That didn’t work.

I hit N and brought up this panel to make sure the padlock buttons were all unchecked. They are.

I then tried to open a new file. I can’t even rotate the default cube.

After that, I thought closing and reopening blender might help. It didn’t.

Then I did a clean install, including reuploading the latest version of blender. That also hasn’t worked.

Is there any way I can get the use of my mouse buttons in blender again?

Thanks.

Fist go back to factory settings (Fie / Load factory Settings)
Check your mouse properties

As I said, Mouse works the way it should in all other applications. I’m not sure what I’m supposed to look for in mouse settings, apart from that. The settings look the way they’ve always looked. Nothing got changed there.

I did File - Load Factory Settings.

No dice.

I have just done another clean install. I deleted all files that were blender related, and then reinstalled. It’s still not working.

Just to make sure what you’re talking about:
This is not about rotating the viewport, but rotating an object with the transform widget, yes?
Does rotating the object with the R key work correctly?
Does translating/scaling the object with the widget work correctly?
What exactly happens when trying to rotate with the widget: Nothing?

And finally: What has changed on your machine?
Don’t say nothing. If this worked before but now doesn’t, something must have changed.
Check your Windows Update history: A few days ago there was a patch day. Did Windows install a new graphics driver (btw: What card? Driver version?)?

This is for rotating with the mouse buttons. Not the transform widget. When you left mouse or middle mouse button press and hold, you are supposed to be able to rotate the object around.

Pressing R does rotate the object. Pressing the mouse button does not. R doesn’t really help because I want to rotate on any axis, and you can only rotate on one axis at a time with R.

I’m not sure what you mean by translating/rotating the widget. What widget?

And finally: What has changed on your machine?
Don’t say nothing. If this worked before but now doesn’t, something must have changed.
Check your Windows Update history: A few days ago there was a patch day. Did Windows install a new graphics driver (btw: What card? Driver version?)?

Here’s the thing: Nothing changed on my machine. Rotating with the mouse buttons suddenly stopped working right after I used the Screw modifier to make a coil.

I say “nothing” because rotating was literally working one minute and suddenly stopped working a minute later. There was no windows update because I was working on the object when this occurred.

Also graphics card is AMD Radion R9 390 series. Driver version 15.201.1102.0 As far as I can tell, the driver hasn’t been updated recently. No need to update. It tells me the best driver for the card is already installed.

Sorry, but to me that’s not making sense.
In a default key/mouse configuration left-click places the 3D cursor, left-click and drag does nothing.
Middle-click and drag
rotates the view, but does not rotate the object.

Hence my questions to clear this up, yet I have a feeling we’re still not on the same page when it comes to terminology.
Do you want to rotate the view or the object?

BTW, this is “the widget” aka “transform manipulator”:

The view. When you left or middle click the mouse button on the object and drag, it will rotate the view. It’s not doing this anymore and I cannot figure out why.

Huh. Apparently I’m unable to resize things in object mode either. Pressing S and them moving the mouse won’t resize, but it works fine in edit mode.

You got manipulate center points turned on? (Alt-,)

Nope. That’s shown in one of the screen grabs I posted. Turning it off or on doesn’t seem to affect anything at this point.

Left mouse button can no longer be used to move the view, either rotate or dragging from side to side. It just won’t do it.

Okay, I got a workaround. It’s not perfect, mainly because I’m unused to using the keyboard for manipulation, but I ticked "LEFT on “select with” so I can make the view scroll back and forth with the left mouse button.

Then 3D view and Set 3D cursor to map rotation to Alt/LMB.

Unfortunately, it still won’t rotate the view if I have it in edit mode and any verts on the object selected.

edit: I spoke too soon. Blender is still not usable.

My mouse is pretty new. I bought it only about two or three months ago, so I doubt it’s the problem here.

I was going to suggest ALT , as well.
Sounds like the troubleshoot that leads up to that one. I’ve deleted ALT , from the shortcuts it has burned me too many times.

I ultimately uninstalled and reinstalled six times. The sixth time, I had to actually physically delete all the blender related files and python stuff on my computer in addition to doing the “delete program” thing from the control panel. Before installing it a sixth time, I shut down completely for ten minutes. Fingers crossed, but it’s working as it should now, as far as I can tell.

I still have no clue what changed, because I didn’t actually go into user preferences to change anything till after stuff went kerplooey in the first place.

This all started when I worked with an object that had the Screw modifier on it. I still cannot make the view move side to side, but at least it rotates now.