Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Let us discuss free CG software in general

since the latest Krita supports audio import, its becoming a viable TVpaint alternative, one good thing about it is that its got all those nice brushes.

Originally Posted by Ace Dragon View Post
    The thing that brings DAZ a bad reputation is not that they have a Character program, it's the fact that they seem more interested in pushing highly suggestive content (which they do sell) than actual software development (if they never intended to develop Bryce, Carrara, and Hexagon, they shouldn't have bought them in the first place unless the intent was to take out any potential competition for their own solution).

Not that I'm complaining since it cleared the path for Blender, but I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of hobbyists wondered what their next steps were after they were pulled into the DAZ fold.
    First of all, I don't understand this "bad reputation thing". Their product is what it says on the tin. Digital human. I also wonder of the highly suggestive, how many are from them and how many are from other artist. While I do write in some critism directly to them on some of their product. They do develop their DAZ product after generation and generation of model (they called it Genesis). Considering that DAZ is free and they only made money on items, I guess its a market niche that works for them.

As for Bryce, Carrara and Hexagon, they try to develop, but market is too saturated even then. If they didn't it will fold anyway. I've been buying 3D World mag on and off back then since #1, and I know a lot of 3d software have folded.

If the legendary Strata 3D didn't survive (kind of), and even Microsoft have to admit defeat with TrueSpace (come to think of it, how many 3d software decided to slow down business after MS decided to release TrueSpace for free, how can you compete with FREE and being backed by Microsoft no less?), Carrara and Hexagon couldn't have survived either.

Anyway, how many in this list have died?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...eling_software

Heck, even LW is on deadly ground these days.

--edit--

If autodesk couldn't rescue SI, I don't have much hope on they (DAZ) keeping Carra and Hexagon alive.
    Last edited by fablefox; 23-Mar-17 at 01:14.

Originally Posted by JonathanW View Post
    I'm not going to try and speak for Fweeb, but knowing him I don't believe his tone was intended to be offensive or directed as a personal attack what so ever. I've already responded to your complaint and will happily follow up more in private if necessary.

Let's keep the thread on topic and keep in mind that there are many countries represented here and we would all do well to remember that many of us do not share the same first language.
    I keep that in mind, but not all statement can be rooted in language.

loving heart, exploring mind... the greatest software in between

blender
    Houdini apprentice
    LuxRender
    gimp
    krita
    verve
    alchemy
    mypaint
    paint.net
    awesomebump
    insaneBump
    pixaFlux
    freecad
    nanocad
    handbrake
    openoffice
    IES generator
    lightworks
    resolve
    fusion
    luminanceHDR
    magica voxel
    meshlab
    natron
    ngPlant
    openToonz
    processing
    sculptris
    realCamera
    sweetHome3D
    visualSFM
    irfan
    VLC
    firefox
    calibre
    GPU-Z
    CPU-Z
    DMesh
    EpicPen
    instant-eyedropper
    k3dsurf
    mesecina
    poladroid
    velux
    wings
    virtual-dub
    lmms
    kuadro
    pureRef
    referenceWarrior
    meshmolder
    handplane
    inkScape
    renpy
    freemind
    mindmup
    lagoa
    clara.io
    doodal
    homestyler
    AD360
    sculptGL
    sculptfab
    texturegeneratoronline
    so many, many more
    main limit is the human soft - ignorance, seeking blame in others, scape goats - take responsibility and blame for your actions
    competing against eachother you make greater divide, bigger gap among yourself - if other doesn't deserve kindness, mercy, love, patience... neither do I!

bye bye Free (dom) Earth
    Last edited by burnin; 23-Mar-17 at 06:29.

Sorted @burnin list by name:

AD360
    alchemy
    awesomebump
    blender
    calibre
    clara.io
    CPU-Z
    DMesh
    doodal
    EpicPen
    firefox
    freecad
    freemind
    fusion
    gimp
    GPU-Z
    handbrake
    handplane
    homestyler
    Houdini apprentice
    IES generator
    inkScape
    insaneBump
    instant-eyedropper
    irfan
    k3dsurf
    krita
    kuadro
    lagoa
    lightworks
    lmms
    luminanceHDR
    LuxRender
    magica voxel
    mesecina
    meshlab
    meshmolder
    mindmup
    mypaint
    nanocad
    natron
    ngPlant
    openoffice
    openToonz
    paint.net
    pixaFlux
    poladroid
    processing
    pureRef
    realCamera
    referenceWarrior
    renpy
    resolve
    sculptfab
    sculptGL
    sculptris
    sweetHome3D
    texturegeneratoronline
    velux
    verve
    virtual-dub
    visualSFM
    VLC
    wings

Originally Posted by Ace Dragon View Post
    The thing that brings DAZ a bad reputation is not that they have a Character program, it's the fact that they seem more interested in pushing highly suggestive content (which they do sell) than actual software development (if they never intended to develop Bryce, Carrara, and Hexagon, they shouldn't have bought them in the first place unless the intent was to take out any potential competition for their own solution).

Not that I'm complaining since it cleared the path for Blender, but I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of hobbyists wondered what their next steps were after they were pulled into the DAZ fold.
    People are making a living of making clothes to DAZ. You can make crazy good money if your clothing is high quality.

... Avidemux, VapourSynth, AviSynth, SMPlayer
    Be patient, English is not my language.

Originally Posted by bigbad View Post
    People are making a living of making clothes to DAZ. You can make crazy good money if your clothing is high quality.
    It is part of the reason im not really in daz, it seems to be more a shop assets than a software now...remind me somes free games,MMO market style.. If peoples do money with that, im all for it, but well otherwise..
    Last edited by Lane; 23-Mar-17 at 08:17.

Originally Posted by Lane View Post
    It is part of the reason im not really in daz, it seems to be more a shop assets than a software now...remind me somes free games,MMO market style.. If peoples do money with that, im all for it, but well otherwise..
    You would be surprised how many markets there are for assets, and for game devs it does make some sense at least in a practical sense. In theory a dev could hammer out the mechanics of a game, and then buy and cobble together some assets for an art pass, but often at this point we will find devs who raid the free asset stores with little to no sense of the concept of art styles and color palette (or in some cases legality, but that is another discussion)

But quite frankly the amount of free and low cost assets in circulation is due partly to freeware softwares, in a weekend one could sit down and find in the free market everything they need to make an attempt to flesh out a game level for marginal if any price. And that is nothing to take for granted, yes there may be some issues with quality but enough placeholder art can be found to do a show and perhaps work as a starting point for direction.

Myself I happen to like the idea of paid market places for games, it gives a dev who did good with a kickstarter a chance to finish out a game somewhat on their own, I'm not saying it would be an easy ride but asset stores do help keep the dream alive of the indie dev who wants to make and public their game all on their own.
    The Market, a CG and game dev discord chat.

Bigbad: wow what a list, thanks you so much for sharing.

I blender user tip me about this "new" 3D Software

Maybe some of you don't know home this modern 3D Software.
    With basic 3d knowledge it is easy to get into. I like the interface, it is
    Clean and neat, all your tools and menus are clever place around the working area.
    The best of all it is low cost, only 55 EUR for a indvidual and 155 EUR for a Corporate license.
    I will definitly start using this great piece of software.
    I you want to take a look you will find it here
    https://rocket3f.com/#Home-Plans

I mention because the have a free version too.

Originally Posted by Romanji View Post
    Excuse me, but that is simply wrong.
    If anything that applies to rental or subscription license, but if you own a permanent license, nobody can take that reliable availability from you.
    I wish that were true. In reality, software companies CAN and WILL take away your permanent license. It does not happen often, but it does happen.

I experienced that when Autodesk took away my supposedly perpetual Motionbuilder Freelance license.

And when a company goes bankrupt and its license servers no longer work, your "permanent" license stops working as well.

At least with open source that cannot happen.
    /*----------------------------------------------------*/
    System: Win7 64bit - i7 [email protected], p6t Deluxe v1, 48gb (6x8gb RipjawsX), ATI 7970 3gb, EVGA 590 3GB, Revodrive X2 240gb, e-mu 1820. Screens: 2 x Samsung s27a850ds 2560x1440, HP 1920x1200 in portrait mode

Originally Posted by Herbert123 View Post
    I wish that were true. In reality, software companies CAN and WILL take away your permanent license. It does not happen often, but it does happen.

I experienced that when Autodesk took away my supposedly perpetual Motionbuilder Freelance license.

And when a company goes bankrupt and its license servers no longer work, your "permanent" license stops working as well.

At least with open source that cannot happen.
    That's more to do with the method of licensing rather than the time restraints. Local, node-based licenses do not expire, nor can a software publisher digitally "bust in and take it" - not without a lot of legal fallout. When they provide an online licensing service there are *always* terms that allow them to take it down sometime in the future. Otherwise that's business suicide.

I sold a software product for more than 20 years ... (still do, in fact) ... and one thing that I learned very early on was to make your licensing scheme very easy, and permanent. Our software can easily be copied from one machine to another, and of course that also means that one copy could be used in many places. We don't care: machines break, machines get upgraded, "ka-ka occurs." Above all, we wanted the system to "keep 'em honest," but not "stand in the way of our customer," even many decades later. The software does not "phone home." It does not poke around to see if copies of itself are running elsewhere. Basically, it is ... "trusting."

And, guess what: people buy multiple copies. We give them value for their money, and they give us money for our value. And, we have one less thing to debug.

Now, we learned that we had to have a license scheme, because we charge money for our product, and governments (in particular ...) are not permitted to spend the public's money on anything that can be obtained or used without paying. We sold a lot of copies to government agencies the world over.
    Last edited by sundialsvc4; 23-Mar-17 at 18:30.

Thank you bigbad, usefull softwares in the list, the free way is elevation.

Sorry i forget to show , Sorted @burnin list by name:
    Last edited by Astorous; 25-Mar-17 at 03:12.

Originally Posted by Astorous View Post
    Thank you bigbad, usefull softwares in the list, the free way is elevation.
    It's not my list. User burnin did it. I just made it in alphabetical order.

Originally Posted by bigbad View Post
    It's not my list. User burnin did it. I just made it in alphabetical order.
    hehe ok, thanks to both of you then. ;-)

Let's add my preferred ones which are not listed above:

- MPV - the fastest video player. Can play anything!
    - Youtube-dl - self explanatory.
    - Sigil - for creating ePub books
    - SumatraPDF - to read PDFs and ebooks
    - Flowblade Video Editor. Non-Linear video editor who worth a try.
    - LibreOffice

I have looked at Gimp for my new "PS" replacement, I find the UI very messy, and the colors are not calming :-)
    Gimp seem to be developed very slow, it was at 2.8 in 2012, coming a 2.9 this year. The Strenght of Gimp is probably the large number of tutorials and plugins available.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345