Selection in Object Mode

Hi, this is something, that’s driving me mad and I can’t find a way to change this.
I would expect, that when I click an Object in my 3d viewport, it gets selected, but instead, some random Objects behind it get selected all the time. I really like the Alt+click option, that lets you choose from a drop-down menu, which object you want to select, but for the most part, I just want to select the Object I clicked on.

Is there a way to set the default selection behavior, so that it would select the object I clicked on, without having to go through menus?

Thanks in advance

Did you try changing the selection method in the User Preferences (“System” tab)?
Depending on the graphics card/driver the default method may not be able to determine which object is closest to the viewer.

Hi! thanks, haven’t tried that before. Doesn’t seem to make much of a difference when I set it to either one of those settings, but I’m also not sure whether it has to do with my drivers, because on Mouse-down, it selects the correct geometry, it’s only on Mouse-up, that Blender decides to change the selection that was highlighted before correctly. When I press my mouse button, the correct Object is highlighted, if I press and hold the ALT-key before letting go of the mouse key, the correct Object stays selected and the drop-down selection list doesn’t appear… which I find weird.

BTW, don’t I know you from the Luxology forums?

Yup, that’s me.
Although I’ve hardly been there for quite some time now. I still use MODO now and then, but have stopped updating with 701 - being just a hobbyist, the maintenance cost got too steep for me in the long run…

As for your problem:
I’m not sure if changing the “Window Draw Method” in the same tab might affect the selection behaviour as well…?

Cool, it’s nice coming across a familiar face here… I just started learning blender.
Window Draw method didn’t help either, but I just fixed it…
Had to change the Activate/Select setting in the 3D View/Global settings of the Input tab from Press to Release… probably something I changed when I tried to customize Blender right after opening it for the first time :smiley:
But the selection method from the System tab was really useful… the Automatic option had a considerable lag after mouse release, which was really annoying, after setting it to OGL Occlusion Queries, it selects instalntly. I wouldn’t have come across this one on my own.
Thanks a lot for the tips!

Something I find interesting is that it behaves differently on mouse press and release. Mouse presses/releases are configurable… have you tried doing File->Load Factory Settings, just to make sure that nothing is corrupted in your key config?

Hi SkpFX, thanks for your reply, not only were you right about looking into the Key configs, but the source of corruption was most likely my desire to customize it… but now everything works just the way I want it to.