UV Editor View: Question about the Image Displayed

I don’t know if I fully understand the concept of the UV/Image Editor (left side of UV editor view), specifically what image/material is being displayed.

The material that is displayed seems inconsequential to whatever object I have unwrapped. I could be viewing the unwrapped UVs for object A, but viewing the image/ material for object B. It’s a very confusing section for a beginner, but let me see if I have it straight:

The image that is displayed in the UV editor can be thought of as a place where your UVs would land, IF you choose this image as your objects material. It is almost like a “preview” of the possibility of a potential mapping, but it does NOT map that image/material until you choose that material over in 3D view by editing your objects material properties and choosing that image material there.

Is this correct? I imagine it throws a ton of people off that they are looking at the UVs on top of an image that isn’t actually being assigned to their object. It seems like whatever image you choose in this window should be assigned to the object you have unwrapped. I don’t quite understand the logic of Blender here, but let me know if I have the workflow correct or if I am missing something.

You are correct. In the Blender internal render engine the image chosen in the UV Editor gets applied to the viewport object when textured solid shading is selected. It actually works fairly well. The viewport shading is undergoing big changes for the 2.8 release. It’s already got quite a bit better than it first was in cycles, but because of the focus on the 2.8 release don’t expect any big changes till fall.