Creating character head for face swapping use after export to Unity

Hello. I am trying to create a character head that will allow the face portion to be swapped out via Texture in Unity. I had read many google results on similar and the common thought was to create the face portion separately so that it has a different ID and/or use UV mapping. Both of these are confusing and when trying in Blender didn’t seem like the right way to go. Wondering if someone could offer some advice.

What I have done so far was take one of my existing characters and remove the head, saving it as a different .obj. I imported the head into a different scene.

I wasn’t sure how to make the face completely flat so I opted to try and use a sphere to cover the face. With that sphere I was thinking I could use that to apply my Texture to later. But that might not work and in no way would this look attractive.

My goal in all of this is to have this faceless head, the face portion have the ability to apply a texture (a face pic which will be selected by the user from a gallery) to the face only area.

I have searched youtube for ‘faceless character blender’ as well as googled such and cannot find anything close to what I am wanting to do. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

74 views and no one wants to tell me how dumb the second picture looks and mention the right way to do it?