Can not figure out how to pull a chain

The evening has been wasting digging around to find out how I can pull a chain. This chain when I play the animation it falls. I can set the top one so Dynamic is taken off and it will stay still. How do I make it so when I move the top one and make a key frame it will pull it out of the box ?
I have attached the chainquestion.blend ChainQuestion.blend (1.41 MB)
I watched a mess of videos and animating chains ropes and even one that showed how to rig a crane. I still dont know how to pull this chain.
This is what I am trying to accomplish:
Like as if I grabbed the top link of the chain and pulled it out of the box and it strati-end up.

Like the chain would be laying on the ground and animate the chain being pulled up out of the box.
Or in other words:
I want to animate the top link of the chain to move up into z direction and have the rest of the chain follow it. Each time I try this it just moves all on its own.

Thanks

I think you just need to select the animated button in the rigid body tab of the top link and keyframe its movement. You should also apply the scale of the box.

ChainQuestion1.blend (1.51 MB)

Thank you AlanK ! I downloaded your example.

ChainQuestion2joined.blend (1.3 MB)
Now I am making life complicated. I actual want to do something with this chain but it seams to be made of glass.
I have messed around with different settings but maybe this just is not possible. ? ?
This is the same file chainquestion1 that KAlan made but with a box joined in the place of two links. It now just goes crazy. How do I tell blender to see this box and chain links that I want it to stay apart of the links ?

I am going to force myself to read the online manual tonight about ridged body physics but I really have my doubts that the online manual will do anything but mix me up with contradictions. I will TRY to open my mind that I might be wrong and try to read it without preconceptions disorientating me.

As with your box in the previous file, the scale on the box in this file is not 1. One important thing to keep in mind with rigid body physics is that the scale of all the objects has to be 1. So in your last file select the box and press Ctrl-A to apply the scale, i.e. make the scale 1, and it should work.

So here is my blender file. Its text chained together. I want to make it do what the chainquestion.blend did.
I am trying to animate it similarly to that.
At this point I cant seam to make IRON respond to key frames. I made the mass of the chain links 5 and kept the text at 1. This helped some and then I am joining links together that want to break. Maybe I just need to use bones ?
LC-5000-78A-0002-NewAppended.blend (14.8 MB)

This is for me and not a job for someone else. I only have about one year using blender.

Whether you use bones, physics or some other form of animation really depends on the final objective. Physics should be OK for what I think you want to do. To get your animation working there are some other things you need to do. First is increase the number of steps per second in the rigid body world to something like 120, to increase the accuracy of the physics calculations. You need to set the origin of the objects iron, life, coach and org to geometry or center of mass. There are a couple of extra links in the chain above org and coach that should be removed and the rigid body collision should be set to mesh for your cube. Hope this helps.

LC-5000-78A-0004-NewAppended.blend (14.6 MB)

Thanks Alan Any way to tell the chain that It may not break under any circumstances ?

Something is telling me that I need to understand python to really be able to use blender.

I am thinking about using bones to force the chain to stay together. Does anyone know if I can use the gravity part of physics on a objects that tied together with bones.

I made it again with much larger links and then I did just as before with the physics and it jsut explodes.
This website will not let me upload anymore .