Custom Bones are slow to select when in Pose Mode in GPU

Hello. When posing my character in GPU, it takes five seconds for my custom bones to be selected. Does anyone know how to fix it. I am using a System76 Oryx Pro. I have a NVidia GeForce GTX 1070 graphics card. I activated OpenSubdiv as well but I don’t know why it takes seconds to select a custom bone.

Moved from “General Forums > Blender and CG Discussions” to “Support > Technical Support”

It would probably be a good idea to include some additional information, such as OS, the version of Blender you’re running, and which drivers you have installed. Do you have anti-aliasing enabled in the driver or in Blender? Also, in User Preferences > System, what do you have set for the Window Draw Method?

Probably

Well, I have a Ubuntu 16.04.2 OS. It is 64-bit. I am using Blender 2.76c. I have installed System76 drivers but I did not know there are other drivers needed. Can you suggest my next step. This is in question to why my custom bones are slow to select in GPU. Thank, you.

This is a continuation of my first question. Like I said, my custom bones are slow to select when I have GPU activated. I wanted to know if it can be fixed. I have a System76 laptop running Ubuntu 16.04.2 Operating System. It is a 64-bit OS. I am using Blender 2.78c. I am using a Nvidia GeForce GTX 1070 graphics card. I have Nvidia drivers installed. I look forward to your replies.

Threads merged, no need for two separate threads asking the same thing.

A few tips which might help things a bit:

• Make sure you don’t have any modifiers on the objects used as custom shapes
  • Keep the custom shapes simple - the less geometry they have, the better

Also, with the same rig, do you have any problems selecting normal bones? What about when using different display modes (e.g. if you usually use stick, try octahedron/bbone/envelopes)?

What about in other modes? Is it slow to select objects/verts/etc.?

The reason I ask all these things is because the selection works by redrawing the scene (with special colors) into an offscreen buffer, and then figuring out what you clicked based on that buffer. So, if you’re getting slow selection, it is likely that you’re having really slow redraws, and simplifying things is the quickest way to speeding things up :slight_smile:

I was able to turn on the “OpenGL Occlusion Queries” and turn on the “GLSL” on the “Images Draw Method.” My custom bone selections in GPU is immediate now. It is just the way I want it. I want to thank you all for your help. I’ll be back again if I have other problems.

Thanks! Google lead me here. I had the same problem but “OpenGL Occlusion Queries” solved it. Blender was also being randomly unresponsive whenever I was working with cycles in the node editor, but this setting seems to have fixed everything.