Scaling Issue

v2.78c - ive heard this version is a bit buggy so might be. are you guys having the same issue? if so, know a solution?

I see what your talking about. I don’t think there is a solution, except apply the mirror modifiers, then applying the rotations. There is a strange behavior when scaling rotated objects. In a default scene you can see it. Rotate the cube 45 on the Y, then scale Z zero. It just doesn’t work. It doesn’t scale flat. The teeth are doing the same thing(not scaling flat), then since they have slightly different scales, they’re flipping at different points.

At least that’s how it looks to me. I’m slow to call things bugs, but it certainly is a non-intuitive, unexpected, behavior.

the strange thing is that i was unable to recreate the problem. should i report it do you think?

I don’t think it’s a bug. I’ve been thinking about it. The thing about scaling is, you can reset the scale. If you scale it on an axis that isn’t its own local axis, you have to either apply that scale to the data, or keep a stack of scales that have been applied, so that they can be reset later. Rotation and location are easy to reset, you just set them back to 0,0,0. But if you’re allowing scaling on arbitrary axis’, it quickly gets to where it can’t be reset. You either need to keep a history of scales applied, or just fudge it using the local axis. I think it’s fudged. :slight_smile: