Snowy Days

Inspired by Blender Guru snow tutorial and by our family dog “Panda” the chow chow. Wanted to make this emotional story of winter evening setup. The snow details could´ve been better but my computer kept on crashing so it is what it is… Added some more snowing and background in Photoshop. I guess the fur could´ve been more translucent or something since now it´s too Chewbacca like:confused:? Let me know what you think. And if there´s any to make the fur better please share !

You should have named him Chewie, such a lost opportunity…:stuck_out_tongue:
It looks really good, both the snow and the hair, but I’m kind of worried about that light coming from behind the dog, hope it’s not a car or something…

It looks really good. :slight_smile: The fur is really well made. Regarding the snow, the only thing missing is the dogs paw-tracks. I mean, it probably didn’t fly into that position. :slight_smile: but apart from that tiny detail, it looks really nice. Lighting is also really nice.

Looks sweet!

Really lovely- I would have lowered the dof? Great fur tho :smiley:

thanks for the comments. You know what they say about dof: “less details, more dof…” :wink: I was being lazy again, not adding the baw-tracks etc once I got most of things done. Valid points of view ! And it surely is a car coming home :eek: or waiting for someone.

Dog, snow, fur and the pose are all very well done. Lighting and overall composition, also. Great image!

Well, I love it :wink:

Looks good to me.

Fur is rather hard to get right. (I’ve tried a few times in dabbling, but the computer I was using then couldn’t cope.) I’ve also seen it where people turn up the particle dial to eleventy-thousand, in thinking that more hairs is always better - but it ends up looking gross and matted instead of fluffy because there’s no space in-between. There’s some threshold below that that looks much better. Not to mention it usually has to be approached in layers of different hair types.

Seem like this one hits close to the mark. Thus it’s a nice render.

looks amazing… just there are even strokes of hair on right side of the face… else everything is cool…

Love the natural pose of the dog, reminds me of our chocolate labrador, Bruce. Your technical skills are awesome. Composition-wise I think there’s too much empty space around the dog, especially on the left of the image, but thats a minor gripe. Well done.

Looks nice may I ask how you did the hair, I’m going to attempt something something similar soon.

the scene looks so sweet. nice work @wiettinen

Great work on fur ! That looks awesome too.

thanks for the feedback everybaadi.

@Leinadien I tried explaining most of in one picture (not really a turorial guy anyways)

RED: added new vertex group and made density map for hair in Weight Paint. Defining the areas were there is and isnt any hair. Chose that from the particle setting as a vertex group for for DENSITY

GREEN: added new vertex group and made length map in Weight Paint. That´s defining the areas were the hair is shorter and longer for this dog race. Chose that from the particle setting as a vertex group for for LENGTH

PINK: I used these values to make the fur. You might want to try different values like using more parent hair instead of original hair but really depends on the situation. Remember to use different material for the emitter object and for the hair. Also thickness is probably something that depends a lot from the subject. I could have used a bit less thicker values.

BLUE: Being lazy… I used only this one single image to define the base color for the object and also the diffuse of the hair shader shown in the image. This god race has really dark fur roots so I tried to imitate that with the ColorRamp you see. Hair shader is mostly from Blender Guru turorial to explain more: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EVj1fETtuN8

AND the most important thing was of course the Particle Edit-mode. A lot of combing, trimming and puffing had to be done before it started to look like alive one… really nice tool I must say! I can find it under the Object Mode / Edit Mode tab in case it´s new for you.

Hope this helps :slight_smile:

Thanks a lot for the mini tutorial. :smiley:

Awesome detail. Great work!

I absolutely love it! Amazing work!