Game slow at startup

Hello all,
I searched around on the site but did not see others with the same issue. I created a game in Blender: a room where you can walk around first person with mouselook and wasd. I made a runtime of it.
When I start the runtime, the first round walking around in the room is very laggy. However, after some time walking around, it is not laggy anymore. I infer that the environment is getting loaded/rendered the first time walking around in it (?). This is quite bothersome since you first have to walk around in the environment before you can really start playing.
Do others recognise this behavior and have any thoughts how to avoid this?
Best,
Nynke

first impression is last impression, make your first impression is better than all time and first walk should be smooth.
which software or tools are you using ?

Hi,
I created everything in the Blender Game engine and then exported it as a Game Engine Runtime.
Best, Nynke

Do others recognise this behavior and have any thoughts how to avoid this?

let me guess amd power?

i got the “same thing” you describe, but i found out that it is due to textures/normal maps (not only in .exe but also in standalone/embedded player).

textures below 1 mb load in without a propblem, textures of 2MB and bigger will cause blender to shock load them.
you freeze for a tiny second or screen flies over the part, once textures are loaded (have been seen once) everything runs smooth.

does this sound the same, then it are the textures?
reduce the file size, doe you have tons of ‘noise’ in it? reduce it.

That’s all i could think of, but the problem still exist due to you can’t avoid to much.

This is a general problem with the way bge loads your scenes. An easy way to fix this, is to create a new camera and give it an animation. In this animation you let the camera quickly fly through every room of your level (can be a really fast). It is imortant that the game starts in this cameras perspective, and after the animation is over, you can switch to your player camera. You can hide the first camera by adding a loading screen in an overlay scene that gets removed when the camera animation is over. This should hopefully fix any lag in the first playthrough of your game.

Hello,

Thanks for the quick responses. I understand that this is a known problem that cannot be counteracted. CG Sky, thanks for the tip to hide this laggy first round, that’s a very smart approach which I will try!

Best, Nynke

What File Type are your Textures(PNG,jpg,tga) and how many are you using in the scene?