[Addon] Parametric Objects (sample for devs)

Hi guys,
Just pushed a parametric objects for blender skeleton to make easy for any coder to start from.
Strong basis for any object, eg objects with child parent relationship like frame width door or window in it.

See also archipack toolkit:

Comments are welcome !

Sounds interesting. How do you install this, what is it used for, and where is it located after installation?

Sounds interesting, but at the same time a complex idea: could you show us more about the workflow whith your script?

The sample script does not work!?
No panel creation and an error:

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "\parametric_object_skeleton.py", line 338, in execute
    o = self.create(context)
  File "\parametric_object_skeleton.py", line 325, in create
    context.scene.link(o)
AttributeError: 'Scene' object has no attribute 'link'

How to create my own parametric objects?

please provide a short tutorial

Hi everybody,

Thank you for your feed back !

Well, basically it’s a strong basis to dev parametric objects under Blender.
This one create a box, with a manipulate mode allowing changes of parameters right on screen.
For a (far) more complex application you could look at Archipack as those objects are based on this one.

Updated so now Rocks “out of the box”.
Clone the repo as .zip, then setup as usual.

Find the “ParametricObject” under regular primitives in your Create tab.
Create a parametric object, and then find the ui on bottom of the right panel of your 3d view (hit n)
Use manipulate button to show on screen handles allowing to resize your object.

Hi Stephen, this looks brilliant! Thank you for sharing, for free, and providing the sources on github no less! I wish I could donate something to you. Is it possible?

I’m not particularly skilled with coding, so I want to wait a little while before installing the addon. I will probably try after 2.79 is released. Maybe everything will be optimized by then. Anyways, this is pretty exciting!

Do you think it will be possible to use this with characters and shape keys by chance?

@emboo2 Hopefully at least Archipack will be released in contrib addons with blender 2.8, maybe even sooner. This one is by no means a production ready addon, simply a toolkit like to help other devs to start with parametric objects.

Hi stephen_leger

Thanks you for your addon.

How to create my own parametric objects?

Example with buttress or stiffener wall:

buttress_or_stiffener wall.blend (513 KB)

Hi serviteur !

Parametric objects are a way to define a mesh depending on variables.

There is nothing magic behind this, only a lot of work to describe objects starting by any single vertex 3d coords, the way you bind your vertices with faces and so on for material indexes and uv textures coords.

In the code init.py you should see some methods (@properties) where you must return vetex locations, faces, material ids, and uv textures for your objects as arrays.

To get a better picture of what envolved for complex objects, you may take a look at archipack’s objects.

stephen_legerHi serviteur !

Parametric objects are a way to define a mesh depending on variables.

There is nothing magic behind this, only a lot of work to describe objects starting by any single vertex 3d coords, the way you bind your vertices with faces and so on for material indexes and uv textures coords.

In the code init.py you should see some methods (@properties) where you must return vetex locations, faces, material ids, and uv textures for your objects as arrays.

To get a better picture of what envolved for complex objects, you may take a look at archipack’s objects.

@ stephen_leger

It’s no possible to provide a short tutorial ?

Very helpful :slight_smile: I’ll have a more in depth look this WE!