Selected Only - Export

ok this is really starting to piss me off… literally every time i want to export something i need the “selected only” to be ckecked, and if i dont, i have to re-export it. having to export everything twice is extremely frustrating cause i always forgetit… is there ANY way to make this setting enabled by default?

In the directory <blender install>/2.78/scripts/addons/io_scene_obj/ edit the file init.py

In line 193 change the False to True…

# context group
use_selection = BoolProperty(
		name="Selection Only",
		description="Export selected objects only",
		default=False, #&lt;- Change to True
		)

Thank you so much, i will test it out once i get back home.

minor thing tho, is it possible to do this through the users preference? cause i use blender daily on multible different computers, and we are talking over 20 different computers each month. cause im likely on a different one every single day.

or do i have to go to the PY file on every computer manually?

As far as I know there’s no way, other than editing the file. Can you run Blender from a thumb drive? That way you could take your customized setup with you to any computer.

ohh SkpFX since you seem to know a bit about the programming side of blender, is there any way you can help me disabling the grid floor in orthographic front/side view?

refering to this thread: https://blenderartists.org/forum/showthread.php?416751-Remove-grid-floor-subdivisions-in-2D-but-not-3D

disabling 2d grid, is possible with the pigeon build :slight_smile:

to have blender portable - on your thumb drive, simply create “config” folder in the blender version number folder, next to “datafiles”, “python” & “scripts” (no roaming will be generated, needed or used) can be run on any machine as preferred :wink:

eg
http://i.imgur.com/nsEP9mD.jpg

Thanks for the link burnin.

No, finalbarrage, I can’t help you with the grid thing. I poke a little bit at scripting, but the grid thing means getting into blender source code, and that’s way beyond my pay grade. I dug into it once, trying to figure out how to turn the 3D Cursor off… I was completely lost.

Hi, Don’t know if you’re still around, but I saw this thread about making “selection only” the export default. Is your advice relevant to 3.2? How does one edit the directory? Sorry, I’m just learning this stuff.
Thanks

The file-path is still relevant. Although of course you’ll need to replace the 2.78 serial version to 3.2 or whichever version of Blender you are using. The code line for changing the export selection setting should look something like this.

Great, but I don’t know where to find that code, or how to edit. I’m on a Mac, if that changes anything.

I don’t have access to a Mac at the moment… but I believe the file would be found under:

/Users/$USER/Library/Application Contents/Blender/%BLENDER_VERSION%\scripts\addons\io_scene_obj\__init__.py

See the official documentation about directory layouts for macOS.

2 Likes

Fantastic, I got it!
It was actually in the application contents rather than application support.
Thank you very much for your help!