Running out of memory while rendering (File Included)

Im struggling with rendering an Image, 684k verts, I’ve tried splitting it up into multiple layers, 3 was the most I tried, every time i run out of memory if I try and render larger than 2500px x 1500px with 2000 samples. My computer specs are i7-6700 processor quad-core 3.44ghz, GTX-1070 8gb vram, and 32gb ddr4 sdram. using blender v2.78 with adaptive sub-surf. I am fairly new to blender so that maybe a large render or to many samples but Id like to think that is a pretty small image size? Is there anything you can see in the .blend file that is overkill and killing my memory? unrelated question… I never quite feel like my images are “sharp” or lacking detail maybe a better description? the ground in the front is what I’m looking at in this render. is that a sampling issue or texture issue or something else Im doing wrong? the .blend file is attached along with the texture I used for the ground it was made using bitmap 2 material. I’m new to that too and that could also be my detail issue…
Thanks!

Link to .blend file and ground material

Are you rendering on your GPU or your CPU? Try changing it to CPU, that has worked for me anytime I’ve had this problem.

I used the CPU for the image above, the GPU wont even render the 2500px x 1500px image.

It’s a really big scene for sure. Given the relative simplicity of the scene it may be worth trying to simplify some of it. Although that still leaves you with this problem if you can’t do that or if you have a more complicated scene in the future.
I did set it on my I5-4440 with 12gb ram and it started to render. I didn’t let it render out completely because of the time it would take but it did start. I also watched my ram and it did use every bit of ram white preparing the scene but never crashed.
Sorry I couldn’t be more help.

Thanks for giving it a go! I have simplified it quite a bit, and have it down to 132k verts… once I get back to my better machine Ill see what that does for render… any idea on the quality of the detail? or is that just me? Im a commercial photographer, so maybe my expectations are a little off?

anyway,
Thanks again!

You are using adaptive subdivision. That will break any computer. Especially at higher resolution.

In geometry under render tab. I had to put subdividion rate at 2px and max subdivision 0 to even render under 8GB. It took only 5.5GB then.

Alright. A quick hack that will make the scene look like it’s been subdivided is using bump+true for the displacement. With the previous settings that lowered the subdivisions.

I was under the assumption that using adaptive subdivision used less memory because it doesn’t subdivide the entire mesh? is that not correct?

cool Ill give that a try

Yes and no. Every pixel becomes a plane. The higher the resolution render the more subdivisions it does near the camera. Stuff in the back doesn’t get that much subdivision.