Discarded

I start work on this scene almost two years ago. Once I had no time, after I had not enough enthusiasm, … forgot it…etc. I’m sure you know what I talking about :slight_smile: Now I’m happy to show you final render.Painted worn out wood material is full procedural except fine scratches. For this I used texture from poliigon.com

I like this guy!

The wood in the background has the bump/displacement too much. It looks more like tree bark, and is distracting. Unless it’s supposed to be a tree. I’d go one way or the other. Glare on eye I don’t know some people will love it, some will hate it. I do not like it. I could be wrong on this but the scale seems off, like he’s modeled at 1-2 meters when it should be like 1/4 meter. But overall this is a nice mood piece. If you really want waterworks (people crying) you’d add a little wooden dog that he is holding with a leash.

Hi and thank you for comment. I agree with everything you wrote and I’ll keep it in mind for next projects :slight_smile:
Only one notice: the marionette is 40cm heigh and I thing wood material is (approximately) scaled right. Maybe carpet is scaled incorrect and that’s why marionette look larger as really is. Anyway, you are right about wrong scaling :slight_smile:

Beautiful, absolutely beautiful.

The only thing I have to bring to the table is try sharpening the anti-aliasing. I like to see every small detail, and sharpening the anti-aliasing helps with this and improves clarity, even if it’s only a slightly improvement in sharpness.

Hope I helped. : )

Personally I find the vignette too strong. As I looked at the thread thumbnail, I found it too dark on the corners, it looks better when it’s more subtle. As for the glare, I don’t like it very much neither, or maybe make it lighter too. It’s like you want to draw the focus on this detail and the sadness, but you exaggerate that feeling, so that looks artificial. I think the marionette’s expression and situation are enough for the spectator to understand what’s going on and how it’s supposed to make him feel.
Overall it’s easy to add too much effects, and it’s always better when it’s quite subtle, a bit like the makeup (at least that’s my opinion).

Now that I have criticized, the good things : I like the overall mood and story, and the materials and texture really look great. The suspended dust particles are very nice too :slight_smile:

Thank you for every constructive feedback :slight_smile:
I update it soon, …I hope, because too much work these days.