Rigging a tube?

Hi guys,

Have a character who has a helmet and a backpack. I want to somehow make a pipe from the helmet to the backpack and have it move slightly when the character moves his head. Is this possible?

“Yes” is the simple answer.

The process is this:

Create a curve that describes the path of the tube - probably only 3 vertices will be required, this depends on the amount of relative movement between the two tube anchor point. I use Bezier Curves for this.

Create a “profile” - a simple Bezier circle is a good start - lay this circe flat on the top view when you make it. Bevel Objects for curve MUST be a curve object not a mesh object.

On the first curve set the Bevel Object in the Curve Panel to be the “profile” object - the Bezier circle.

Go to Edit Mode for the Curve Object - now a Tube - and select one end vertex. Add a Hook Modifier and select the appropriate bone on your character (like the head) as the “Target” object - then click the assign button.

Repeat last instruction for the vertex at the other end of the Curve Object. Exit Edit Mode, if the curve wonders off where it should be - go back into Edit Mode and click “Recenter” Box then “Assign” again.

You may need to add extra bones at the location of the ends of the Curve Object to use as Targets for the Hook Mods, as you haven’t posted an image of your project I can only guess at what you might have there…

If you want your tube to be hollow and see through - make a “Glass” material and add a Solid Modifier.

Let me know how you get on.

Cheers, Clock.

Hey thanks. Ill post some images when i get home. Its basically toon shaded in blender internal. Using your method would i still be able to make the tube in more detail? Riveted like a shower hose for example?

You could apply a texture/bump, if you want to model it you would need a mesh of a small section with an array modifier and a curve modifier - the array mod MUST be above the curve mod in the list. But the problem with this is that if you stretch the curve, the mesh will come away from one end. Also you could make a full mesh and use Bendy Bones to animate it, depends on what the end goal is…

Cheers, Clock.