Kitchen Interior

Hi guys,
I’m trying to finish this project so that I could display it on the blog I’m currently working on (sort of portfolio).
I could really use your help pointing out the strengths and weaknesses of the scene.

Any critique is welcome!
Thank you!

It seems lil dark and empty. Feels like only few boxes are put and thats it. try to add some more details and lights.

The materials looks nice and the modeling is alright. It is just empty and the lighting is rather harsh. Needs some pizzazz.

Have to agree with the others. As a former contractor I’ve been through a lot of empty houses. The space is empty, even for an empty space and it’s belied by the fact that there’s a picture frame on the wall above in what I imagine is a nice cozy spot with a great view free from other distractions.

Also, if that’s a kitchen, where’s the water supply? Shouldn’t there be a sink?

Materials are excellent, with one possible exception, based on what most people will probably assume: Those inset appliances appear to be an oven and something else, but that material doesn’t look quite like glass and it seems like it should be. If this is going to stand alone, you have to let it speak for itself rather than explain anything so you’ll have to do some accounting for people’s assumptions.

The compression makes it a little difficult to judge surface detailing. One minor thing that isn’t very important though is how much those materials generally cost is pretty high so the wood stain might be more uniform or have a more deliberate pattern. I guess that would depend on the person footing the bill and their tastes. I’ve seen some pretty eccentric things, so take that with grain of salt.

Looking pretty good. I think the prior feedback is valid. In a space like this you would typically need to have some soft surfaces to absorb sound. Perhaps a colorful rug in that foreground space would help add a little pizzazz, as Ralmon put it. Perhaps some stools at the island counter would be appropriate, as well. You’re close.

Thank you very much for taking the time to comment on my work. It really helped me gain some perspective and make some adjustments.

I added some elements to add a little pizzazz, adjusted the lighting and the contrast through filmic blender, fixed the glass material of the inset appliances (or at least I think so) and finally added a faucet to the sink which I had totally forgotten!

I tried to add a rug in the foreground, but it seemed quite busy so I gave up. I guess it interfered with the geometrical form of the general design of the kitchen. Or maybe it is me doing it wrong, so I’ll probably give it another shot.

Regarding the wood stain, this scene is meant to be an exact recreation of a kitchen I saw online and judging by the materials they used, it seemed quite luxurious. So I went for the same look and feel.

If you have any thoughts and comments on this one, please share it with me. They would really help me improve my work.

Thank you!

Great improvements! I don’t know if the rug is critical after you’ve added some more details elsewhere. The only thing I’m struggling with is the placement on the pink flowers. The way they are perfectly centered with the oven(?) behind them bothers me, and I think you could probably push them just a little to the left or right and fix that (if it bothers anyone else too).

This may not work in this particular composition, but often times an object in the foreground (even out of focus) can give the overall image a greater sense of depth. You often see it in architectural renderings with tree branches peaking in from the side. It may be too much, but I thought I’d throw that thought in there to consider.

Great work :smiley:

I’m not an expert, but I think there are some issues in concept, dimensions, logic.

1. I don’t like an idea of opened kitchen with fumes and scents floating around the apartment. And I can’t see a hood or some other ventilation device.
  2. Cabinets on left side have wrong dimensions. There are some kitchen cabinets dimension standards and these cabinets look a bit off (upper cabinets too high maybe and with too wide doors).
  3. No fridge? Or maybe it is built in cabinets on right side? But I would expect in luxury kitchen like this big two door fridge.
  4. Cabinets and ovens on the right side are built in the wall, but if you look outside the windows, there si no more wall, so cabinets should be sticking out of the building or there is very thin wall left.
  5. Judging from continuous texture on marble blocks, these blocks are unrealistically big. But if it is some fake marble, maybe it is ok. Also for me it is a bit distracting, that marble blocks around the windows are oriented differently than the rest.
  6. I think, part of the middle island should be opened, so it can be used as a table.
  7. IMHO, camera should be closer to kitchen, there is too much empty space around.
    Just this for now.:cool:

Hi Nice To see your Kitchen but if youu want to some chenges in your kitchen or add accesories in your kitchen you can visit my website
KitchenStoreNova.Comi hope you think about it…

And I still feel like the kitchen feels rather empty… No utensils, canisters, paper towel roll, toaster, blender (kitchen blender, I mean), spice rack… None of the things that you’d find in a kitchen. Maybe not all of this would be out, but you’d still see more than is here. It’s also still sparse in any sort of decorative elements, other than the flowers. And where do they eat? No table or anything?

I realize this open design limits what you can do, but I still believe that there would be more practical and decorative elements.

Many thanks for sharing your thoughts.

Indeed Ryan’s suggestion to move the vase with the pink flowers to the right, made a significant difference, since it actually produced a much more balanced result.

Regarding IasseJV observations I have to say that all the modeling was done using the metric system and I ensured that the dimensions of all of the items and the room, approximate the real world dimensions. So for the cabinets I went for a height of 90cm (along with the countertop) which is pretty standard. The cabinets on the left have a width of 70 cm, whilst the island in the middle has a width of 180cm so that it can fit the cooktops and still have room on the other side perhaps to serve food or something like that. The wall thickness along with the window frames is 90cm, so it can fit a standard fridge without a problem. As far as the ventilation is concerned, there is one on the ceiling right above the island behind the lights.

As I said before this is meant to be an exact recreation of a kitchen I saw online. To some people it may seem sterilized or lacking in coziness and practicality, which is totally understandable. Judging by the actual photo of the kitchen, my understanding is that it belongs to some very rich people who can afford a huge kitchen and a whole different space to dine.

Anyway any comment is constructive and help me see things I probably wouldn’t detect otherwise.
At this point I decided to try another view, so here it is! There’s something bothering me but I can’t really say if it’s the lighting or something else. Unfortunately I’m on low memory budget rendering on cpu and each scene can take overnight to render, so please bear with me and my delayed replies when I make adjustments.

I’m glad the last suggestion helped. I know you’re still testing things, but I think the last perspective was stronger than this one. There are occasions when a parallel perspective makes sense, but I think in almost all cases with architecture you’re going to get better results shooting from a more oblique angle.