Should I stick sculpting with Blender or start learning Zbrush?

Hello everyone, so I really like the sculpting in Blender because of it’s dynamic topology, it helps me because I don’t know how to draw so by using this I can sketch but in 3D. The reason why I thought I should switch for Zbrush is because I am getting a lot of lag with Blender, I don’t care for the standard of what people use these days, Blender is really what I am comfortable with. My model I am trying to sculpt has 2,754,792 tris and it’s quite laggy, I have 16 GB of ram and when I look videos online people seems to not complain about it, so I was wondering if maybe there’s something I am doing wrong? I have a gtx 970 ti and I unticked double sided. You can also tell me suggestions and tips what works for you. Thanks a lot!

Zbrush can handle a lot larger polycount, but even then you’re often required to partition your model into multiple submeshes. Something you can also do in Blender.

Zbrush is better for sculpting, hands down. Blender is capable. What is the largest factor in what you produce is your artistic capability, not your tool. I’ve had a lot of fun using both Blender and Zbrush. With Zbrush you can achieve higher detail easier. Blender is more convenient if your workflow includes something more outside sculpting and vertex painting.

Hello Luc; about your lag issue the maximum triangles you should work in dynatopo is between 500k - 800k depending on the machine. This way you wont get lag. However this does mean you need to either split your model into multiple pieces (head - torso - arms - legs,etc) or control the topology subdivision and make sure you have high density only on needed areas. Spliting each part will ofcourse have problems with full body models because of seams but it is expected that you retopo the model and switch to multi-res sculpting.
Working this way you can go beyond the limit/lag 800k x 4 = 3.2M

This issue in dynamic topology sculpting is a global problem because of how the system works. Other software like sculptris also have this issue. So you need to switch to multi-res sculpting or subdivision level based sculpting (zbrush). There are some pitfalls in blender about multi-res sculpting so be sure to check the forums and google about it so you learn whats causing problems and whats missing.

About whether to use Blender or Zbrush; if you can afford zbrush you should buy it and use it. Use both dynatopo and zbrush. You can swap sculpt objects between the 2 by exporting OBJ; there is also a GOZ addon for blender which automates this process so you can switch between the 2 programs quickly without worrying about exporting.

Anyway hope this helps. Cheers.

I will give a try but so far it’s so complicated and there’s buttons everywhere in weird places. I will give it a couple more shots and see if it’s possible to like it. Thank you for your advice.

I never thought for seperating parts of my sculpting, that should do the trick. The only issue would be to combine it but that would be on the topology process. I believe that I had way too much tris because I watched more videos and focused on the tris count and must of them they had like 500,000 tris. I will give a try for Zbrush, I think the reason why I stay away is because it’s scary, it looks freaking hard and many people told it was. Thanks for your response it does help.

Zbrush and 3D Coat are both worth consideration. Zbrush is by far the best sculpting application you can find, also with the best performance.

I have a tip for you: If you have areas of your model that have a lot of detail where it’s not really needed, select the inflate brush and set it’s strength really low. Now raise your detail size to something like 6 to 10 depending on your zoom level and brush over those areas. They will be re-subdivided to more coarse mesh but still retain the form. It’s like selectively optimizing your model.

The other thing is that if you have Sculptris (I recommend it just for this) You can take your high detail sculp and have it re-mesh your model. What Sculptris does that Blender doesn’t is that it will keep the detail only where it’s needed to create the shapes. It’s like the decimate tool in ZBrush. In fact, it may actually be the exact same algorithm considering that the developer of Sculptris now works for Pixologic.

There is already a brush for this. Its called “Simplify”. You might be missing this brush because of custom startup file.

You can create a new simplify brush by duplicating an existing brush, then on the menu choose Brush > Sculpt Tool > Simpify
This will set the brush as simplify brush. You can then save your startup file to make sure its always there.

I really wanted to buy 3d Coat but because of their EULA I simply gave up, I know it’s not a big deal but for 507$ Cad I think it’s not worth it, especially I don’t share their way they see things and I could lose my license. So I will learn Zbrush, I got a subscription to DT and I will give it a go.

It is a good way yes, though I never tried with the inflate brush, I was thinking to give a try another try with Zbrush. I used Sculptris before and I thought it was okay but I didn’t see the point of it but now that you mention what it can do it’s useful. I tried something called Zremesher I believe, and it makes me lose some of my shapes, is decimate pretty much the same thing?

Thank you I will search for it!